• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
twinkle

Pregnancy & on call obligations

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I was hoping somebody would be able to give me some guidance on what the current practices are in most trusts regarding acute psychiatric on calls & pregnancy.

I have passed part 1 in autumn 2005 and planned to have a baby before part2- I am not able to resign my overtime as this would affect my training so I am a bit stuck about what to do. I have spoken to the BMA & have had very vague advice regarding a risk assessment & that it depends on the trust itself. There has not been another trainee who has had a baby in my rotation before(surprisingly),so I have not been able to seek any advice.

Any ideas friends????

I am surprised that BMA were vague. When you get pregnant, your Trust has to make an assessment of your post, declaring it safe for a pregnant woman. If it is not, you have to be moved to a safe one.

If you do assessment in A&E with no security on site, for example, this may not be safe.

If at any point, your GP states in his letter that you are not medically fit to do on-calls, your Trust has to find a locum and pay you a full salary, banding included. There is however a rule that if you are absent for more than 4 days (I think) in your third trimester, and your absence is pregnancy related, your Trust can send you on maternity leave from that day.

Human resources have a maternity leave pack, you can request it even if you are not pregnant, it clearly states your rights. BMA also has some written info re. your maternity pay(try to figure that one out- I had it twice and never knew how much I'd get, but hey, thats my numeracy skills ;).

kc24

My understanding is that you carry on with your on-calls until such a time as you feel unable (genarally around 20wks but varies with individuals). Your Trust's occupational health dept must then carry out a risk assesssment (usually just involves them asking questions and completing a form). Generally they won't want to risk exposing a pregnant employee to situations that would put her in potential danger (and quite rightly so!), so they'd take you off the on-call rota till you're back from maternity leave. You'd still receive your full pay plus on-call pay. If for any medical reason you need to stop your on-calls really really early then you'd need a letter from your GP outlining the reasons for this.

In terms of completing the total no_ of on-calls required for training, I would think this can stil be done at a later date, i.e after return from maternity leave.

Hope this is of some help.

Hi Twinkle

Good luck with your plans

I have a two and a half year old baby. I was pregnant during my third posting. I told my personnel manager when I was about 10 week pregnant. She immedeately did a risk assessment and sent me a copy and gave me all the forms for maternity leave. That time we used to do 2 types of on calls. Ist oncall very very busy ane IInd usually very very quiet. Ocassionally you would get called once a night. My manager told me it was upto me whether I wanted to on calls. I continued doing both on calls till about 18 weeks. Then I had a very busy night and fell ill and had to take sick leave for about a week. I went and told manager and we jointly decided I should not do Ist on call. I carried on doing IInd on call till I went on maternity leave.

So my personal experience was good. I returned as a flexible trainee and did not have any problems with required on call experience when it came to eligibility for exams.

Hi - good luck with your plans!

At my trust all the ladies on maternity get a fairly good deal i recon. They are taken off the oncall rota (not sure what stage - but at least for 6months), and put in a 'pregnancy job' (ie deemed more safe). the oncall is covered internally by 'bank' (ie rotation) shos. I guess or at least i have heard that they feel that the oncall has a lot of potiential for harmful situation. (esp violence calls, our picu (scarely place at the best of times!!), s136 etc).

The trust is split into 2 training schemes (each with +80 SHOs), so i am not sure what happens in the dark side so to speak.

Hope it works out for you, and dont be afraid to assert your needs ahead of the service!

cheers

Hi Twinkle

The standard for most trust is to carry on on call duties until your maternity leave and from 28 weeks you can be exempt from on call duties. However if you find doing on calls strenuous or exhausting or risky you can either approach your GP or your occupational therapist and they will in all probability send a letter to scheme organiser and medical staffing to exempt you from on calls. Ur oncalls will be covered by locums and you will continue to get full pay with banding if you continue with ur 9 to 5 duties.