Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
michaelshamrock

SR Loxums with part1

8 posts in this topic

hi michael,

don't know of anyone who is brave enough to do a Spr locum with part 1 unless they have section12 approval and lot of experience. i had a friend who did Staff grade locums but he had 3 years experience and was taking part 2 the second time. i suppose if there is someone, i would like to know ther experiences

Hi Michael,

I know some one who did Spr locum for 6 months with part I only. But he was already a staff grade with section 12 approved.

And obviously you can do consultant locums once you've got part two having not done an SPR job, but it's risky and does not go down well in interviews

hey folks thanks for all that advice

now my next q,.

how does one get section 12 approval?

esp when one is in Gp practice presently!

Hi there. I am now an Academic SpR in CAMHS after a 3 year stint as an SHO however I did manage to get Section 12 approval as an SHO in my 4th SHO job ie in my 2nd year of training.

Every area has an approved authority to conduct a section 12(2) approval course after which you get a certificate. If you do the course locally its free else quite a whack.

Anyone can apply for it including GPs. The panel then considers your training and application and approves/disapproves you from attending the course.

Its not that difficult.

All the best

That is quite alright!

The only precaution you need to take is try and not be disapproved by the panel as the application form asked if I had ever been refused approval and if so why? I guess its a bit of a catch 22 really but try and get as much information as possible as regards the possibility of your application being successful as possible before you apply.