Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest jstu

POST MRCPSYCH-DIFFICULTIES IN GETTING SPR JOBS

12 posts in this topic

Dear collegues,

I am currently in the process of applying for a SPR job in Old Age Psychiatry. I passed the exams in Dec 2005. Through bureaucracy and some obscure rulings, I was prevented from even being considered in the shortlists recently by my local deanery; thus I have been applying nationwide. As everybody knows, the competition is fierce, and I am still waiting for my first shortlist to be interviewed! There are additional worries with regard to the end of my rotation, and I could be jobless in August and will need to consider taking up a staff grade or locum post. We were told by our local Prof. involved in the shortlisting process that chances of being shortlisted as locum or staff grade applicants are markedly reduced! Catch 22 situation.

I am interested in hearing of other colleques experences with regard to this and possibly writing an article about this. Please include date of passing exams, specialty of interests, deaneries and personal difficulties resulting in career delays/changes etc. I will also be interested in the number of applications, shortlisting etc. Please write to khalidsani@hotmail.com. All information will be treated with full confidentiality.

Looking forward to hear from you all.

Dear Jstu,

Just to reassure you that in worst case scenario if you are not Spr by August then being a staff grade (Substantive Post not a locum)in the speciality of your interest will go in your favour for short listing for Spr posts in that speciality. I will be writting my experience to you soon I am struggling with short listing as well

Dear JSTU

I can understand that locum posts do reduce shortlisting chances..but If you do not accept substantive Staff Grade posts how long will you do an SHO job? You need to be in a job . shortlisting comes much later!!

If your staff grade job is a good one.it will certanly build your CV. I think a job in Subs abuse is best as it is relevant to all subspecialities

i agree with froid.a staff grade or AS post in addiction psychiatry goes a long way in strenghthening your cv.i've heard from 2 senior consultants one whom is closely involved with spr training that psychiatry is changing and addiction and general psychiatry will overlap greatly.those with substance abuse experience will be more employable and have a better chance in getting into higher spec. training.we are at the doorsteps of an alcohol epidemic which will touch and change all specialities.the future is clear.

One more thing ...what criteria a consultant tells about shortlisting is relevant to only that panel on which he is present. Different panels have different opinions .. would'nt care a damn about just one opinion...remember it is just an opinion not a rule!!!

My own experience is .. show your CV to others..who can suggest improvements...incorporate only those suggesstions which you feel are the best!

Which deanery you are in by the way? I bet it is Oxford

another important point which the spr trainer mentioned is that with the drying up of consultant posts within a few years, spr's with training in addiction and GA will be prefered above those with other types of training.so spr's you all know what you have to do.

I am not sure if thats true... at the moment it seems that the COnsultant Posts are vacant and that problem may increase... I cant see why the Posts should dry up

froid the bottom line is funding.see what is happening in england due to trust crisis .posts will be most likely frozen.with a very large output of ccts.i dont think the vacancies and people applying will tally in a few years time.i may be wrong but looking at the big picture of nhs funding crisis,a conservative govt hovering,labour tightening their belt,a large number of higher trainees comming out.i guess just go allout and hope for the best.

it is interesting that you mentioned CCT's in your post rather than CCST's. I agree that the new system will generate many more consultants. Those with CCST's will have definite advantage over those with only CCT's which I think would be unjust.

Clearly more CCT's will not be a crisis for the NHS but an opportunity... 'more people desperate for few job translates' as 'more control over contracts, less favourable negotiations for the consultants and almost no Locums' for the managers!

Wonder what you think!

my apologies froid,i did mean ccst's not ccts which i have no clue about.the postings i made earlier was what i heard from senior consultants.after becomming a staff grade you sit around with senior staff at lunch and meetings and hear what they have to say.one said that it is all a cycle.she said that in her batch there were many of her colleagues who after completing higher training could not find a consultant post and retrained mainly as gps,she said this happened recently in cardiothoracic surgery where they trained in excess and these trainees are looking for gp training posts.she doesn't think it will be such a bad situation now but feels a similar scenario is appearing in psychiatry.i recall webmaster posting something along this line about senior posts drying up.anyway this may be a slow process and many of current higher trainees will be settled by then.my earlier point was that in a tight job market trainees with addiction training will be more employable.we'll wait and see.good luck to you.it will be interesting to hear what the other cafe members think about this,and also another opinion from webmaster.

I think it will be very interesting for you to read up more between the difference between CCT's and CCST's. You will certainly get an idea where we would be heading towards.

I would agree with you that people with Substance abuse experience will find that their experience will be relevant to most subspecuilities in Psychiatry...hence ' more employable' but I think only those will survive who will be conscioulsy developing their CV during their career rather then those who will just ' doing their job'.

It is clearly in the managers' interest to have more people than jobs for the reasons already mentioned in my previous post.