• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sands73

Post MRCPsych difficulties getting staff grade

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, am I setting a new trend for not being able to get a staff grade post, inspite of having membership? It was a substance misuse job- I had 6 months expereince in substance misuse at SHO level.The feed back I got was- ur interview went very well, and u r a very good candidate- but we had a candidate who has done a CBT course in substance misuse and that's what we were looking for-blah, blah, blah!! I had been relaxing after getting my membership, not applying anywhere, but I never realised that membership is not enough to get a staff grade post, let alone an Spr post.

oh dear!

b4 i took a break from psych i went for a sgrade post without membership and got it despite 2 others shortlisted having membership.

so i dont know the requirements at all, sometimes it just baffles me.

i call it 'psychobaffle'

Hey Michael, so I am not alone then. I have company. That relieves me a bit

perhaps the candiate selected was known to the panel? Or may be did not have the membership so that the trust know that he would be a more stable one and not move on to SpR ?

As for the feedback given to unsuccessful candidates.... it is plain

'psychobabble' as michaelshamrock(boy what a long name!!!) has called.

i think it was experience in the end really.

i had what they wanted except that vital piece of paper.

i had just passed part 1 and had envisaged getting part 2 quickly anyway,also told them i wasnt planning on staying long as a staff grade.

psychobaffle definitely and a little bit of charm?

An other issue for consideration is that membership may work against you as you are likely to leave the staff grade post as soon as you get a number, and you may do so at a time which may be very inconvenient for them

I agree with Evan and thats exactly what i have said... that was the reaction I got from the manager when I was thinking about my plan 'B'.

i agree

anyway they should be grateful

there was a time nobody applied for staff grade posts they seem to forget this

It will be interesting to see what the BMA NHS proposals are for staff grade/Assoc spec careers due in april.

I had a similar experience recently. I feel a lot better now knowing that there are other people in the same boat. I am now jobless and am doing nothing except going through bmj every Thursday and enjoying the time with my little one rest of the time. Never mind

:-[not good

thats not the way it supposed to be.

the whole thing is stupid#

i am afraid psychiatry is going to be the worst off in the long run.people will just stop opting for the speciality. psychiatry is a speciality that historically has always needed doctors. it has now found itself in a ridiculous situation through obvious bad planning that post part 2 mrcpsych doctors have no jobs! this is in the light of empty consultant posts, overworked and overstretched consultant psychiatrists. Just ask other specialities like gynaecology when they had simlar difficulties;doctors simply stopped choosing them and they are currently facing a shortage.

i totally agree with this.

An other issue for consideration is that membership may work against you as you are likely to leave the staff grade post as soon as you get a number, and you may do so at a time which may be very inconvenient for them