• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Addy

Changes to HSMP

9 posts in this topic

Changes all the time......

I've just heard about this new announcement about work permits.  It's unclear what would happen to HSMP holders, especially people who've just got it for a year in the first instance.

And now, it turns out that HSMP is changing as well !  They're replacing it with a new points-based system (this has not yet started, so don't panic).

Do take a look at this website

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/command-points-based-migration

and read the document.  It's pretty big.  Of particular relevance to some of us are pages 21 and 23.

The new system will have 5 tiers.  The document states 'Tier 1 will replace the current Highly Skilled Migrant Programme.'

Looking at the proposed points needed for tier 1, it looks like most of us would easily qualify.  This may of course change.

They need to clarify several things: When does this system actually start (probably mid2007)?  What happens to those who need further leave to remain under HSMP before the tier system begins ?  And is the DoH saying that irrespective of one's visa status, every NHS trust needs to apply for a work permit for an IMG?

Lots of questions ...... to make matters worse, the indhomeoffice website is unreachable !!

Addy.

As an add-on to the above.......

I've just spoken to someone on their Enquiries phone line.  The chap said the changes aren't going to be implemented until 2007.  Anyone under the existing arrangement (including HSMP holders) should not be affected.

They may be stopping PFT from July 2006 but that does not automatically mean that doctors would need a work permit to work - many would already have got HSMP - then the situation wouldn't really change.  I'm not quite sure if their directive to trusts from July 2006 is : Do not employ IMGs if there is a UK or EEU graduate available.

Any views or news on this ?  :)

Adarsh.

Hi Addy,

I also felt the same.However the points system when it starts is it going to affect people on hsmp?do u know if people who are already on hsmp would be affected at this stage? I am just wondering what is the point in attending an interview if an home grown doctor is attending the same interview????

i think we need to be clear about what is going on.regardless of what type of visa: pft,work permit or hsmp the important change is that the medical jobs will be first given to uk and eu graduates.so it is important to secure a permanent job now if possible ,come july 2006 i think regardless of vias if you are an img you will at the bottom of the pile or even more likely not shortlisted at all.the new point system will allow you to score entry but will not ensure a job.it will be like Canada now where thousands of imgs qualified on points but could never get a medical job and have ended up driving taxis and working in restaurants.uk will be the same as they will give jobs to locals and their eu cousins.MOVE INTO MIDDLE GRADE NOW IF POSSIBLE.i think over time they will aslo start fiddling with middle grade also.

i visit north america especially canada frequently.the changes taking place here resemble what canada went through and is like.even though there is a great need for more doctors,the local medical schools,MPs, govt are extremely politically driven and protectionist.an img is allowed to do exams,migrate to the country on points, and spend years looking for openings,but very few break in.UK medical field is also becomming protectionist and with the new point system heading the same way.

Guys, get on to the HSMP as fast as you can.Who knows whats lurking in the next change of rules!!

You get work permit stamp for HSMP, but who knows in future they will allow to work under HSMP or have to get a different work permit....

:(

i feel that the best action now for those who can would be to move to middle grade or some job on a work permit or hsmp visa.the trainees currently will most likely be allowed to continue with their visa's being converted to work permit.the biggest problem is when anyone applies for a new job.regardless of visa status first preference will be to uk and eu graduates.when i applied for my post grade there were few locals,one who was senior and with exams.despite this i got the job.i don't think this will happen after july 2006 or end of year.i guess the smart thing now is to move into a permanent job if one can. HSMP will most likely not be a criteria to help with jobs.there is already hundreds of doctors on hsmp in other specialities jobless.

oops sorry, i meant when i apllied for my staff grade.