Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nikhil

Want Info:Forensic SpR in Northwestern Deanery

55 posts in this topic

I have been shortlised for the Forensic SpR Rotation in the NorthWestern Deanery. The rotation covers Preston, Manchester abd Ashworth.This was a surprise as I got the letter more than 7 weeks after the closing date (basically I had given up!!).

I could not get a clear idea of the scheme from their job description. Could anyone help me with this. I would also be keen to know about the practical issues like banding, on - call arrangements and also living there - I have always lived South so I am not familiar with MAnchester area really.

the interview is on the 24th, so I would really appreciate if any one can give a quick reply

I too applied but no such letter for me. Share your experience when you come back. All the best.

froid,

i'm just curious, how did the interview go and what were the questions like? if you don't mind,please share your thoughts.cheers

got the job ... so hurray!!!

I am about to begin my clinic....

I will post all the questions asked to me and what ansewrs did I give as soon as I am free

That's Grreat News !!!!!!!!$$&££!!!!!!!!. Congratulations, Well done.

Hi Again -

these were the questions I was asked -

1) As a Consultant, you will be the leader of the team. How would you resolve the conflicts in the team?

2) How do the Reports in Forensic Psychiatry may  affect / relate to the ethical principles of medicine / doctors?

3) What are the obstacles in improving Prison (Mental) Health Care?

4) What is the principle of equivalence in reation to Prison Health Care?

5)Describe the piece of Research that you have done and you feel is the most important one done by you?

6) What are the problems in using risk assessment tools? What is the circularity argument? What is the use of risk assessment tool? Is there any use of risk assessent tools part from predicting future risk?

7) Have you thought of any specific research topic during your training?

8) What are the new changes in the training of doctors?

9) After you become a Consultant, how do you visualise yourself in five years time?

I think this was about every major question that I was asked

Now Paranth asked me how did it go. I think it went pretty average. I could answer many questions, some with clues given by the panel and some answers were a bit circumstantial. It certainly did not go great.

My anxiety levels were surpsringly very low. Especially about the question related to Ethics, I was not clear about the question at all.After I spoke a few sentences it dawned to me that I was certainly nowhere near the topic where the Consultant wanted me to be.Hence I decided not to go ahead unless I knew what was expected by the Consultant. I therefore asked for some clarification but I was still not clear. Hence I frankly stated that I was not able to understand what exactly was expected. I said that if they could explain to me a bit more I will be able to tell. The subsequent clarification was clear enough ... but as I went ahead the holes in my knowledge of ethics became more obvious. Howver by this time the other members in the panel had decided to join me in my effort to answer the question!!

I did not get unnerved even if I did not know the answer ... I tried my best to ask more elaboration from them.

I think I touched a chord with them when they asked me about the research topics I had thought of. It seems that there are two readers in the scheme who have developed two reasearch lines - one related to Prison mental health and one abou neurobiology.(This was all given on their website itself). When I explained the dichotomy they all chuckled! The the Reader asked me tell some specific topics. I tried to be diplomatic but she wanted me to commit to one subject. I finally chose the topic which she is not normally interested in!

When they asked about the proposed changes in training they were expecting me to talk about the MMC only. But i began by talking about both EWTD and MMC. They all smiled and said that we can go about EWTD on and on so I should rather restrict myself to he MMC!

Now coming to the important thing about me not being anxious! It is the most unusual thing. I havent developed any new anxiety controlling skills but it was sheer pessimism and confidence that I wll not make it!

I hadnt had the time to make enough inquiries about the scheme. That is the reason I requested info on the Superegocafe.I just manged to speak with the Programme Director once (for just 1 - 2 minutes) and his SpR once (10 minutes or so). Both were very helpful. But I did not get enough time to go to the Unit even once. Hence I thought that since I had'nt performed the most important ritual of showing that one is very interested by going to the hospital I was out of equation. (I also saw University of Manchester website for their research topics).

On the top of all this , I relised on the day of the interview I had not brought all the documents. Although one could always produce them later, I thought that the panel will label me as callous.Then I heard that there were two 'strong internal candidates'.This meant end of the show!

I then thought that since I was not going to get the job anyway they I had nothing to lose. So why get tense. This helped me to be calm. I saw that other candidates were coming out red - faced and huffing & puffing.I certainly did not come out that way! For the first time I was not looking like I was begging to get a job.I think that made all the difference

So supreme was my confidence (that I will not be selected) that I was on the returm train in the next hour and I was preparing for the next interview while in train. Then the phone call came!!! The news has not yet sunk in completely even now and I cant believe it.

While I was going to the interview on the train, I read a lot of articles I had printed out. I found them veryuseful for the interview.

If anyone wants to know more about any specific questions and what answers / blunders did i make.. I am more than willing to discuss

Dear Froid,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I will be grateful if you could shed more light on 'circularity argument' and other bits of question 6.

Hi veteran...more on question 6

Problems with the Risk Assessment tools is that many (of the actuarial) tools are usually based on static factors which are difficult change. Hence they may produce 'therapeutic gloom'. Dynamic factors are not easily incorporated in standardised tools. Despite all this, they are not able to predict risk very accurately.

The circularity argument is that the tools use events(in the past) to predict the same events (in the future).

The other use of the Risk assessment tools - they have predicted relapses even if they were not entirely good at predicting risk.

If folks are interested I can list out all the questions at my previous (unsuccessful) interview

well done froid!

congratulations, I'm really pleased for you. this is really encouraging; nothing like a piece of good news to spur you on!

thanks for posting all your interview questions, and your thought processes too!

best wishes in your new job

Hey Froid,

Thanks for your reply. I am surprised to know you were unsuccesful in some interviews. You are very much upto date, you should have cracked at first shy. I am sure you were impressive at Manchester. Well done. I do not have any publications otherwise my CV reads Ok with Audits, Msc etc. But still I am not getting shortlisted. Do you think I should have a publication.

In my own opinion (and other people's as well) is that a publication helps immensely. The simple reason is that a publication is much more than a research. You may be involved in only a small bit of research for eg data collection , but a publication means that you were probably involved in all aspects - planning, data collection , analysis and writing it up. The last part is very annoying actually.It also means that you had more ownership in the project than simply as an assistant.

It means that your paper (research) was peer reviewed and therefore it has undergone more scrutiny.It, as if , has passed a certain 'quality control' test. Hence a publication is almost a additional dimension to you CV putting you in a different league altogether. Three or four audits and participation in more research projects cannot equal a publication.They are two different categories (I am not suggesting in any way that audits are inferior or they should not be done! They have a separate importance of their own).

More to the publication business ... the order of preference is original article > review article > case report > letter to the editor. If you are the first author it is better that being the last in 10 of other co-authors. The bottomline though is that something in your name is always better than nothing!

Having said that, it is quite difficult to get a publication (or that matter final acceptance of you paper for publication) and it is very time consuming. One of my own work, data collected in 2002, I wrote it up the same year...I am aiming it for a better journal...it is still under consideration!Have had a few rejections so far. I havent had the time to make 3 A4 pages of modifications the reviewers have sent!

To cut a long story story short, if you decide to make a try for a publication start as quickly as possible. Write up your best topic (research or even an audit - many audits are not dissimalr to cross sectional studies) and choose an average journal.(all my publication are in very average journals). If you go for the big journals you will be more likely rejected and you will waste your time. At this stage you want a publication .. whatever the journal may be!!!

Apart from boosting your CV it will help you in other ways too ... you will develop more skills. Writing up a project certainly improves your critical appraisal skills. Writing itself is an art. If you see something published the satisfaction is immense and it is almost addictive.

The downside is that it requires a lot of patience and time. if you are not in a research job..you will almost certainly have to use your own time.

By the way, most of the things in Question6, I knew only half of the stuff!The other half I learnt during the interview!! So do not worry.

If you need any help either for publication or for anything else, please let me know!

well done froid! :lol:

can you list previous questions please as so i can get an idea of what is expected.

thanks so much

Here are the questions in my previous interview (It was again a interview for a Forensic Rotation)

1) Why did you choose Psychiatry? Why did you choose to come to UK?2) Should Forensic Psychiatrists be involved in treatment of sex offenders?

3)A piece of Cutlery goes missing in the ward. How will you deal with it? A patient later informs you that he has seen one patient stealing it. How will you handle this? He tells you not to inform this to anyone for the fear of the other patient. Are there any circumstances in which you will not share this info with other team members?

4) Name three important areas for audit in Forensic Psychiatry.

5) How will you go about teaching a group of medical students?HAve you done any specific courses on teaching?

Was not selected for this one hence I dare not give any anwers!!

Dear Froid,

Thanks for the prompt reply. My MSc dissertaion was worth publishing but didn't try it for various reasons. I have an interesting case report I need to try something for completeness sake. Would you be kind to let me know which of the Average Journals likely to accept.

Dear Veteran:

It is good that you have decided to go ahead. I am sure that this will help you in the long run.

The following link will give you a quite a long list of journals you can try.The list however is not exhaustive.

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/books/journals_n_z.htm

It will help if you can tell what the case report is about. We can then hunt suitable journals.

In terms of a case report, the down side is thet many journals prefer fewer case reports unless the case is really exceptional. Hence to get it published is a bit tough. [highlight]BUT[/highlight] importantly it is the most easiest in terms of finishing the write - up. So you can actually start sending it to various editors very soon.

If possible take opinion of one or two senior colleagues , preferably those who have some publication to go thro' your  draft. The suggestions are usually constructive. Do not go about asking for opinions of too many people - it is really confusing.

The shorter you keep your report (basically it should be to the point and crisp) the better chances you have of publication.

Go for the journal website: look for the author intructions and choose preferably those journals which accept articles electronically (Not all do). It will save you a lot of time (and cost as well!)

SO if you let me know the case briefly or in one sentence.... I can suggest some journals to you. You can post your reply here or you can send me an personal / instant message thro' the superegocafe website.

GOOD LUCK!

one more thing...many journals give you a rough waiting time for their decisison...this may also influence your choice.

well done froid..just say that you have beeen shortlisted for yorkshire deanery and not attending the interview ;), as I am going for it Monday afternoon.I am doing a general adult job at the moment and not sure what are the hot topics in forensic that I should read during the weekend.thanks..congrats again..Bye