Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mind

Filing Tax returns

16 posts in this topic

I have never filed tax returns.

Can someone guide me on this.

Manic!

if NHS pay is your only income i think you need not file any tax returns.

Thanks

That's not true. I think you may have to if you earn more than £40,000, gross salary a year. In any doubt, ring the Ir number on your form and ask them. They are very helpful people, despite the fear we have of them!

:D

Manic!

if NHS pay  is your only income i think you need not file any tax returns.

[highlight]If you have relatively straightforward tax affairs and already pay tax through PAYE (Pay As You Earn) you probably won't need to complete a tax return. But if you have more complicated tax affairs - or income from several sources - you may need to complete one.[/highlight]

Superego is the answer to my prayers! Believe me.

I have been very fustrated about this tax returns because HSMP forms have requested it and I have been quite confused as to what to do.

I called the Tax office and was told because my only source of income is NHS I don't need a Tax return. It still appear HSMP is not happy with that so I may have to re-direct them to the site which has just been given. Iam not joking, I mean it. I have had enough of them.

Hi,

Filing tax returns could be actually advantageous to you people as you may claim tax exemptions for few things eg BMA membership, RCPsych membership/inceptorship, MDU, GMC registration fee, other profession related expenses etc which could be quiet a significant amount of money. Think about it.

I have been very fustrated about this tax returns because HSMP forms have requested it and I have been quite confused as to what to do.

The HSMP forms do not require you to fill in tax returns. If you pay tax via PAYE (which seems like you are), you will receive a P60 (end of tax year certificate) which shows your total earnings from that particular employer and all tax payed on your income for that year. You need to send the P60 to the HSMP team as this clarifies your total income for any year from your employer. However, for Inland Revenue purposes, if you earn any additional income in any tax year that has not been taxed, you will need to declare it by filling in a tax retuens form. On some occasions, you might have a tax refund as you might have paid too much tax when this is calculated on non-taxable income such as expenses required tom carry out your job such BMA, GMC fees etc

If the Inland Revenue want you to fill a tax return, they will inform you and request accordingly. Otherwise do not bother and cetainly do not go chasing them.

I have filled tax returns in the last 2 financial years now (the IR wanted me to do so), the second being online which was much easier to do. If your tax is deducted at source (eg NHS employees) you may actually get some money back if you fill the form in smartly and know what to claim.

Hi guys, I'd appreciate if you can advise, I intend to show my earnings for 8 months from May 06 to Dec 06 ( Initial grant in my case 1yr) for application to extend HSMP which expires 3rd March 07, I obviously can't provide P60 for this year until end of April 07, will this be sufficient to tick exceptional case option?

I don't have a proper P60 for the tax yr 05-06 as I held two jobs and did not provide P45 to my last employer and thus my income from job before that is not shown in the P60.

Also, will P45 serve the purpose instead of P60?

My emails to the home office has met with no success so far!

Thanks

Rao2,

HSMP guideline specify that if you can't produce either the tax return (P60) or wage slips or both for whatever reason you need to state why as well as produce other evidences - bank statements for the claimed period and a letter from your employers confirming the salary you earned over the period.

So in your case in addition to your payslips you need to send your bank statements (where your salary is paid into) and a letter from your employers confirming the salary for the period.

I have a bit extra income apart from NHS (ABPUT £400.00) PARTLY FROM INTEREST and partly from making death certificates. do I have to file a tax return. what happens if I did not

Techniically you should declare your extra income. If you pay subs to BMA, GMC etc you may well get a rebate - which is always handy!

You do not have to file tax return to get the BMA, GMC, MDu and RCPsych membership benefits. just call your income tax office and let them know about these and they will adjust your tax code accordingly.

Also, you must declare any extra income you had. The responsibilities are yours to do so. you may face a fine plus have to pay all the tax with interest and if the amount is big enough, may face prosecution.

The Inland Revenue have demanded my tax returns in the last 4 years. I only work for the NHS and have only one source of income.

I agree completing them could be beneficial financially. In the last 2 years, they have sent me back some money amounting to over one grand-very handy for the college exams.