• Announcements

• Gurpal

New question bank for paper B   05/11/18

Please see the link below for a new question bank: http://www.superegocafe.com/online-courses/mrcpsych-paper-b-multiple-choice-question-bank/  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sands73

BMA\'s reaction

40 posts in this topic

BMA junior doctors committee (JDC) action plan for addressing the current situation facing international medical graduates following the publication of new rules on managed migration

March 2006

Position statement

The JDC recognises that there was a need for reform for the immigration rules. One outcome of the new rules is that there is reduced competition for UK-trained doctors applying for training grade posts, allowing the UK medical school output to achieve full potential in training, which is an outcome that the JDC supports. It comes, however, at the expense of international medical graduates who are already in the UK and who now face possible enforced return to their countries of origin at short notice.

The JDC is fully aware that this situation is causing disruption to the lives of many doctors trained outside the EEA who are providing invaluable services to patients and wish to work and train in the NHS. Despite suggestions made by some people affected, the BMA and its junior doctors committee was not instrumental in the sudden changes to the rules that the Home Office has made.

The JDC recognises this hardship and is working to alleviate the problems that have arisen as far as possible within the new rules. Doctors trained overseas will continue for the foreseeable future to comprise a significant proportion of the medical workforce in the UK.

Actions by the JDC in response to the situation

The JDC has initially responded to the situation as detailed below, and will follow this with more actions as the situation develops and more information is obtained about the exact interpretation and practical implementation of the rules.

- We are urgently seeking a joint meeting with the Home Office and Department of Health to unpack the implications of the new rules for junior doctors in particular

- Information will be made available on the BMA website and through askBMA

- Formal representation to Government if necessary after meetings with Home Office and Dept of Health

- Further urgent meetings with the GMC to discuss the implications for PLAB, and also the rules on clinical attachments. The JDC has already approached the GMC to ask for a reduction in the number of PLAB sittings. It is their view that it is inappropriate for them to deny any doctor who wishes the opportunity to demonstrate that they have the skills and competencies needed to complete the exam, and that they are only responding to demand in the number of exams they put on.

- we are seeking clarification about the granting of work permits. This is a complex area and we are seeking legal advice.

- tackling advertisements that are blatantly discriminatory (eg where non-EEA nationals are told not to apply)

- If appropriate, we may issue advice to Trust human resources departments about how to interpret the new regulations, if we feel that the publications of the Home Office or NHS Employers are not adequate, especially interpretations of the law surrounding work permits.

This list is not exhaustive and we welcome suggestions for other actions that could be taken to help alleviate the situation as these new rules are introduced by the Government. Please email info.jdc@bma.org.uk

Information

As soon as we have established the facts, we will publish guidance including the following:

- Explanation of the new rules as they relate to doctors

- FAQ and common scenarios

- Clear explanation of what will happen to those who cannot find a post in time in terms of the process of law

- Advice on how doctors affected can quickly identify and apply for posts with work permits

The Home Office Command paper is available on the Home Office website - go there now

Proposals for Government to consider

The following are proposals, mostly made by IMGs within the JDC, to alleviate the problems as far as possible within the reality of the introduction of these regulations. They will be discussed with the Home Office and Dept of Health with regard to legality, feasibility and appropriateness, and we will communicate the outcome of those discussions as detailed above.

- Delay of introduction of rules by six months to allow people time to readjust their expectations

- The GMC to change the rules on PLAB to allow it to be done overseas to save wasted travel to the UK; possible adjustment to the rules regarding clinical attachments

- Workforce information collection to identify the international medical graduate numbers more clearly (in addition to all the other reasons, the JDC already has for calling for this information to be collected)

- International recruitment process to foundation programmes to be introduced without delay - login to see the JDC's proposals for this process now

Is there scope for a specific arrangement around the (currently predicted) start of MMC specialty training in August 2007, whereby international medical graduates whose SHO rotation ceases at that point due to transition are given extra leeway to get onto a specialty rotation? This would be in view of the fact that their job has finished early through no fault of their own, just because of the new training scheme starting at that time, and so they would have to leave sooner than if MMC wasn’t going on.

Further updates

This action plan is subject to revision at short notice in light of changing events, and is intended purely as a guide for members as to how the JDC is responding to the current situation.

JDC, March 2006

Typical of BMA. It has welcomed the changes on one hand and paid some lip sympathy to IMG's on the other.

I am glad I quit the BMA 6 months ago- no regrets.

i quit bma yesterday

think they are absolutely spineless

whats the point in paying to a professional association which supports you not for what you are(what they r supposed to do) but where you were born

[smiley=huh.gif]

Can you quit BMA anytime, my membership was renenwed 4 months back, can i quit now?

I had cancelled it last week ..just dont waste any money on them ...just cancel the direct debit.

bye

if bma doesnt take a stand -we should cancel the membership.wise decision.

harihv has a valid point. I was thinking of joining it.... pretty useless it seems

I think folks who are cancelling the membership should drop a email to them and let them know the reasons for cancellation (Insight Oriented Behaviour therapy I call it)

We have been paying BMA too much money & for absolutely nothing in return! I cancelled my membership recently & i suggest all 'foreign' doctors do the same. That ll teach them a lesson..........if nothing else, it ll burn a hole in their loaded pockets!!!

guys.. i have cancelled my membership too and i feel absolutely fantastic..! can we have more support please? i call every IMG in this forum to do the same.. pls do it asap.

I always knew BMA was a big joke!

Or is it that BMA is MI5 of GMC :o;)

copy of my email to bma

I have cancelled my membership today in response to BMA s JDC welcoming the new immigration policies.I regret the fact that I have been a member of this organisation for so many years.I hope many IMGs will follow me.

Good bye

those who want to do the same can email this address

info.jdc@bma.org.uk

bye for now

I was feeling guilty that i have not been a BMA member till now, but not anymore after seeing all your views!!! thank god, i have done the right thing. :D

i have sent an email link to this webpage to my friends to motivate them to give up the BMA membership. I suggets you guys do the same.....for this movement to gain more momentum!! ;)

I think the DOH/Home office announcement has significant implications on overseas graduates. The last few months have unveiled disaster after disaster due to poor planning. The influx of IMGs was overwhelming but who is to blame. The poor chaps passed the PLAB and could not get jobs. The GMC is a guilty partner in all this and holds the same position today - 'We conduct exams because there is a demand.' Bullshit! They seem to have an active marketing dept that sell the exams and absolve themselves of all responsibility. Who is the GMC anyway and whose interest do they serve. Funnilly we all are registered with the GMC and pay fees. Time we flood them with protests too.

As an IMG myself I do feel as if we have been used in a disposable manner. We are shown the red carpet when we are needed  and then door when we are no longer required.

I do not think that the BMA has the interests of the IMG at the forefront. The attempt to delay the ruling by 6 months at least looks good. I personally would not leave the BMA as it is the only organisation I know that could do anything for me. Sadly there is no alternative. Another view is that we should make it work for us and be more forceful in conveying our concerns. We need to lobby our concerns. I am not sure leaving it will make much of an impact and what are we left with? It feels like throwing in the towel.

We need to write to editors of all forms of media highighting our plight. Flood the DOH, GMC, Home office etc. with letters and emails. Call local BMA reps, JDC. We need active engagement. - More dialogue and quickly. Hopefully some sense will prevail.

Regardless we form an important arm of the medical workforce and much of our work is appreciated. I think that poor workforce planning has caused the government to take this drastic measure as they need to provide jobs to ever increasing local graduates. What would at least be alittle fairer is then for the government to at least ensure the welfare of the IMG that are already in the country. I am not against stricter policies in the future but certainly the interest for the IMG who are now caught in no man's land should be paramount.

Depressing Stuff!

No use flooding these organisations with emails, they would install an automated email system to answer our mails or just direct all our mails to the junk box!

This GMC, DOH,BMA and I suspect all these NHS Trust directors are all in this together.I would love to see the day when these people will again beg us to work in their hospitals.If I have one dream which I want it to come true, this will be the one >:(

If you think they will block emails then send via snail mail - royal mail. Don't be nihilistic. Cheers!

how about e-mailing newspapers and local press as well?

there is so much discussion about nhs these days, I am sure they would buy into the fair complaint....!

What do other people think?

Good luck!

All this situation was brought by media, called

'TRIAL BY MEDIA.'

they found out few local doctors( below 200 if I am right) were unemployed and started the whole campaign of overseas doctors taking the jobs. (We all know how media here reacts to Immigration . They just want all the coloured ones out of Country- simple)

now the government just gave a knee jerk reaction and in doing so created all this mess.

I am wondering from where will the NHS get experienced doctors (familiar with UK system and speak English) from European union within few months ?

I think the media is interested in anything sensational...if media brought this on for the first time...it will surely put forward the other side as well..they have everything to gain !!!

They will be able to blame the govt for both problems..they are happy as long as their newspaper sells!

i do seriously think we need to do something seriously and quick, think of all the people who have just recently committed suicide and all those who have been living on air and water, with their families prestige and money at stake just bcoz the GMC and the uk government has found a great business, thats what they have always been , business men and ruled india china out of these talents.

i have no idea what we can do, but i am sure we a re a big lot ourselves if we get together, i a sure nothing can stop us.

there r numerous possibilities what we can, i think giving up the bma membership would be a good idea, i guess its time that we show them that we r not in their feet licking stage, we might have been out of ignorance, some many centuries ago, this shall tell them that if we dont get a fair tarde , we can act as well.

yes they never promised us jobs forever, but they promised equal oppurtunities, etc, etc.

can we not get legal advices, sue them if possible in whatever direction for getting so many doctors into such a plea, i just feel like going to my consultant and saying , well, not working in the first place and calling off sick or going on a proper strik where we all get togethernand do not work, ofcourse this will be the end stage.

our little foolishness and selfishness will do us and everyone else great harm , i guess its time that they need to be that they cant play with someones self respect and put an other human beings life at stake just for their business prospects, do not go by their words, that they will try and interprit the rules in a different way and that they cannot see overseas doctors out of jobs in the future to come, and that they will give us a chance till further 6 months, ( the reality is even if they do, they will absolutely make sure that they will create such job descriptions that there would be no way for an overseas docotr to apply), all they say is absolutely rubbish.

imagine how many people will get depressed and how many might commit suicide again and how many might be left with complete disruption of their personal and professional life, esp after all these years of hard wok. many have come o work here completely giving up their carees in their home towns, staretd families here, et etc, business for the govnt again - as tony balir in one i/v said it would be best to consider students from overseas as cheap labour. it might be called greed that someone is ready to do even little jobs, but is it actually greed, it is much more than that, it is self respect, it is a want of betterment which any human being has and this place is making misuse of the basis human desires and needs and ambitions.

oh! can we not just go on a strike without attending these jobs and show them what we have been doing for them nd what they would be without us, just peacefully, wish we can.

i know many people with hsmp wouldnt care or be bothered, but shud they not? let their conscience decide for themselves.

evryone, even onsultants, staff grades, whatever their level is can contribute towards getting us out of these unpleasant situations.

hope they would, hope we will be able to get ourselves done some good and alleviate the discriminations.

bye and all the ebst

I too cancelled my BMA subscription today and it may be a good idea to let other IMG as well.

There are still many IMG's who are not bothered about what is going on as they feel 'SAFE'.How stupid and selfish!!

I think there should be one single organisation for IMG to represent their rights.

you are right aditya.. haaalllloooooo IMGs... Can you hear me???

Has everyone cancelled your BMA membership?? come on guys.. show some support...

I beg to slightly disagree with the general opinion on this topic. I feel the BMA is a powerful organisation that may help us get through this crisis, there is an action plan already in place and we should be inundating them with calls for help rather than quitting.

Of course the message about welcoming the changes is distressing one must take it in light of the overall picture where all doctors whether local or IMG's were finding it impossible to get shortlisted despite being eligible to get jobs. The important part of BMA's reaction was that they have critisised the way these changes will affect IMG's currently within the system.

I feel we should be demanding them to act aggressively on our behalf in this situation and ostracising the BMA would unfortunately mean we lose an important voice that can shout out to the Government for change in policy.

Now please do not start shouting things like I am a BMA tout because im not, but I feel we should be directing our anger and frustration in the right way, and the BMA is one such important and nationally recognised forum. Quit your membership if they refuse to help.

cheers.