Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrsstud

working in USA-research or voluntary?

5 posts in this topic

hi

i'm a child and adolescent SpR and will be going to Washington DC for a year next year because of my husbands job. I'm trying to find out if there is any work i can do that doesn't involve me sitting the USMLE as i would rather cut my legs off than do that.

I was thinking perhaps research or something voluntary or maybe doing a course.

i'd be grateful if anyone could share any bright ideas or similar experience.

Getting into research is not very difficult.Do a google search for child and adolescent psychiatry in washington and you will find research dept.What I have heard is that you need to get in touch with the professors involved in the research and most of them are helpful in guiding you thru the process.

To work as a doctor you need to complete usmle.    

Research is not a problem because you are more than adequately qualified. Loads of academics will be willing to have you on their team. The big snag of course will be money and whether anyone will pay you or whether you can see patients without USMLE. If you are not worried about money then you are fine.

could you do a psychotherapy course?

or a training?

well

make sure your hubby doesnt fall in love with usa and decides to settle there forever..

.if there are 50% chances that he may, its best to do some clinical observership.

eventually u may be doing usmles and won't 've time to do clinical observership.u could do it for 2 days in a week with some professor ...a big name to get a good reference locally .then u can volunteer to some research work for him and if u later write usmle's u will have a good referee

if u want to do Msc ,they are all paid programmes and very expensive.

regarding research ...its a good idea... but the pay is like 20 kpa in $ and the work can be very boring but looks good on ur cv and u can maybe get a publication.u may need to start as an observer initially...if u dont have research experience...

u could just relax and do something different like learn cooking etc...b4 u get back to the rat race...