Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tactile

tax calculation

6 posts in this topic

Basic Pay- £34557

Band 1 A supplement

could some one explain how the income tax /NI  is calculated.

My Tax code is BR for the last 3 years/

The tax office when contacted says that i am paying basic rate while earning high income and i may have to pay back to the tax office (could be a big amount).

Any one who know about the taxation system -------pl help

you have a tax free ammount - you should have a tax code which tells you how much, but you haven't cos you are on br code.  i don't know why that is.  

then you have a 10% rate bit for the next 2150ish.

then you pay 23% for the next 28000ish.

then you pay 40% on the rest.

you need to find out why you are still on the br rate.  you shouldn't have been on it that long.  you could owe lots of money.

BR rate means that you haven't been allocated a tax code. there fore you pay tax on a rate of 40%, and not a tax that is calculated on the different bandings. such as the first £5000 not taxed then the next 10,000 on 22%. this happened to me and i didn't have a tax code for the first year of employment, and had paid around £1200 extra intax for that year, which i got back, which was a very nice suprise. more likely the inland revenue owes you money and you will have a lovely suprise. just contact the inland revenue, then you have to send your p60 for the past 3 years, they'll calculate the tax code and send you the check.

BR rate means that you haven't been allocated a tax code. there fore you pay tax on a rate of 40%,

No. BR means you pay tax at 22%

Looks like I will have to pay now if the BR is 22%.