Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cmo

Extra sensory perception

6 posts in this topic

In another guise I frequent the yahoo answers website. Someone asked a question where they requested a psychic reading. This was my answer,

You're female, a good communicator and a strong friend. You like music, you feel dissatisfied sometimes at work. A name beginning with the letter S is important to you, M will provide you with trouble. The month of May holds an important anniversary or birthday.

Now the above is utter nonsense, it was a fine piece of nonsense I admit, but it was nonsense nonetheless. It was a cold reading. Now the thing is, not only did I get a best answer but I've since been contacted and told how accurate I was and would I give some more information. Apart from the potential of another career if MMC goes pear shaped anyone got any good ideas on why apparently smart and rational people are so easily deceived by powers that have never been proved or in any way evidenced.  :-?

My theory is that people are always grasping for meaning or looking to create sense of chaos.

The things you said were fairly non-specific but people will find some way to make it into something - ANYTHING - to make them feel there is some purpose to their rather unexciting life.

Psychics - charlatans preying on the needy!

P.S. Someone once told me that the reason why soap operas are so popular is because they are so unchanging they provide a source of constancy in an uncertain world

CMO

Do you have some special powers?

LOL

In another guise I frequent the yahoo answers website. Someone asked a question where they requested a psychic reading. This was my answer,

You're female, a good communicator and a strong friend. You like music, you feel dissatisfied sometimes at work. A name beginning with the letter S is important to you, M will provide you with trouble. The month of May holds an important anniversary or birthday.

Now the above is utter nonsense, it was a fine piece of nonsense I admit, but it was nonsense nonetheless. It was a cold reading. Now the thing is, not only did I get a best answer but I've since been contacted and told how accurate I was and would I give some more information. Apart from the potential of another career if MMC goes pear shaped anyone got any good ideas on why apparently smart and rational people are so easily deceived by powers that have never been proved or in any way evidenced.  :-?

I think it's the same way as astrology and palmistry.

It's a game of probability.

theres a brilliant book derren brown recommends.. i dont know what it is.. but you could google it..

it is a bit expensive.. circa 30 quid.. but apparently the best as far as cold reading goes..

and its a good party gaming skill to have..

im gonna be getting it soon..