Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mtb

Did trust pay travel expenses for clinical exam?

6 posts in this topic

I did P1 in Sept 2002 and was sent to Scotland for my clinical. I found the trip up from SW London a pain but consoled myself that at least I would get the travel expenses back which I did. Now, I've just done P2 and when I submitted forms for travel expense for exam was told (triumphantly!) that the Trust :-X didn't pay this any more.

Same Trust... new rules.

I'm a newbie to this country and thought all trusts paid these expenses for sitting the exam.

Does your Trust pay?

Hi Maylandia!

We get paid for travel, accommodation, food etc, from the Post Graduate Dean via Study Leave expenses, so long as we apply for it, and get it approved, in advance.

Unfortunately, there is no obligation for study leave to be approved, although any refusal is open to appeal. Our Trusts do not contribute towards study leave any more :'(

The Admiral, waiting for Friday Pt II results ???

never had any expenses paid

but never been able to apply the 3000 years in advance required

Just having a look at these old posts.

Trusts paid to your exam centre!

Good old days.

Does this exist now?

During my initial years as an SHO (2003 - not so long ago!), I was lucky enough to work in a trust in the North West that actually paid the exam fees as a matter of routine !  They paid for the exam and for one exam course, independent of the study leave budget.

Incredible as it sounds, they also paid for my visa extension fees - this was the time the Home Office had newly introduced the fee for PFT extension.

I subsequently moved on to do my level 2 training in the South.  That was when I realized how lucky I had been previously.  All I heard about was cuts in the study leave budget.  Paying for 'extras' like exams was unheard of.

However, it looks like this epidemic of funding cuts has now spread.  A friend of mine still working in that trust in the North West states that they've withdrawn all such support.  They no longer pay any exam fees, and certainly do not pay visa extension fees !

And so I look back and say, 'Those were the good old days........'

In my SHO days (less than 12 months ago) the Trust paid travel and accommodation for maximum two attempts at each Part of the exam. You had to claim it afterwards but didn't have to have it approved in advance. The money was in addition to study leave budget. Exam fees came from our own pockets however as did courses.