Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mealfm

Become a cicil servant

5 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I would be very grateful if any of you could give me any information about how to become a cicil servant .I have decided to give up medicine and I have a family.I do not know where to find information about it ,I have done my own reseach about it, but no success.What kind of civil servant could I become?.

I would appreciate any information you could give me.

Thank you very much.

a manager would be nice....! :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I am not so sure...!

have you looked through ad pages of papers like guardian and the times....?

have you looked around in websites?

what other skills do you have?

which area would mostly interest you?

The only thing that I am interested in, is psychiatry ,but as unfortunately that is over for me,no way to look back to it , as the suffering of recent months,has been unbearable.

I only want a job that allows me to bring up my family.

No point in thinking what I am interested in as I do not feel able to get enthusiastic about anything, in the same way I was with psychiatry.It is too painful getting enthusiastic about anything these days .

I would like a day job and a bit of security for the future,it is a luxury to develop interests these days.

Do you think that all my years of preparation as a docotr are of value to do anything as a civil servant?.

I just need a regular semi-decent salary.

I have looked at goverment web sites but I am not sure how to apply or at what level apply.

Thank you

A lot of my friends work in the civil service. Pay is rubbish. Career development appears slow, not sure how to get into manager's grades. Also you'd be subject to the same job insecurities because it's a government toy. I say stick to medicine in some capacity, you are skilled in it, the pay is good, and all people at some point in other fields will have to deal with uncertainty so we should get used to it! The grass is never as green on the other side.

The prospects once looked good for a career in medical informatics - I don't know whether that is still the case now. A couple of Dr colleagues went into it a few yrs back and got relatively good jobs then. It's basically medical IT. There used to be a 1 year's Master course for it.

I gave it serious consideration at some stage but I'm glad I continued in this line. Changing career is a major step requiring lots of wisdom. I hope you make the right choice.