Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chrispell

BMA membership

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Having recently quit my membership of the BMA, in favour of giving money to Remedy, I am curious to know what people are doing with their memberships. Does the action taken by BMA on our 'behalf' really deserve around £30 a month? Has anyone else discontinued their membership? Do they do anything to represent junior doctors any more?

I was a member as a medical student but I chucked it when I became a Doctor. I just didn't see what I was getting for the type of money they were asking for.  :D

I quit BMA about 2 years ago..mainly to escape from the piles of BMJ that were taking over my life.  :D Can't say that I feel I've missed out on anything.

I wonder if there is anyone here who had recieved help from BMA for any kind of advice.

I am seriously considering cancelling the membership.

BMA has done nothing for me, but has only succeeded in confirming my view that it doesnot care for IMG's.

Recently BMA advisor refused to support me when I asked them to intervene and find out, why only West Midlands Deanery put me as 'not eligible' and when eligible in other 3 deaneries. I insisted and asked the advisor to refer to BMA news, where BMA had helped local graduate, who had similar problems due to immigration issues in London Deanery. In addition, I made it clear that my case was in 'no way' different from the case BMA had supported. Only then she agreed and referred me to local office.

After few days, WM BMA advisor calls me to clarify my visa status. I refused to clarify and asked that it was their duty to find the reason for ineligibility at WM.

BMA definetly is losing members. The only way to make up is by being opportunistic, and thats exactly they are doing, trying to take credit from Remedys' work. BMA has to realise that we are not fools.

I was BMA member for a year- and if there is one decision that has given me peace of mind- it was quitting BMA membership- after being their member just for a year

Raja, did they ask you why you quit?

Raja, did they ask you why you quit?

No, they didn't- but I sent them a letter saying why I had quit- not being sympathetic to IMG's being one of the reasons. However that has not stopped them from sending letters to my house, urging me to join them again!