Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sharad63

SIBLING RIVALRY

8 posts in this topic

Would like some info on extreme sibling rivalry in adolescents presenting with depressive/ psychotic symptoms, with a chronic course . :(

I saw a patient for psychotherapy for a year who presented with chronic depression. She was in her early twenties whose problems dated back to when she was a child. These were mainly around sibling rivalry - the intensity was really as bad as pathological jealousy! She was a tough one to understand but the amazing thing was that she kept up all her appointments and enjoyed coming for the sessions - she had something her sibling did not have!

How I handled the sessions was a different story altogether!!!

Would like some info on extreme sibling rivalry in adolescents presenting with depressive/ psychotic symptoms, with a chronic course . :(

I think Malan wrote something on that but rivalry usually has to do with unresolved (wait for it!!!) oedipal (read:rivalry) issues...I had a similar patient with sibling rivalry......but it was conceptualized as oedipal....will post more when I find the paper...(it was on one of those pep cds)

I'll have to check on the veracity of that though

Parents tend to be more empathetic with the child who has the same sibling position that they experienced. Relational problems can arise when siblings are not treated equally; for instance, when one child is being idealized, while another is cast in the role of the family scapegoat. Differences in gender roles and expectations expressed by the parents can underlie sibling rivalry. Parent–child relationships also are dependent on personality interactions. Research has shown that 30 to 35 percent of a person's personality is due to genetic factors. Thus, this issue must also be considered when attempting to understand and to explain parent–child and sibling relationships. The notion that a child's resentment directed at a parental figure or a child's own disavowed dark emotions can be projected onto a sibling and can fuel an intense hate relationship is an interesting psychodynamic hypothesis. As people grow older, they often experience a desire to reconnect with sisters and brothers and, consequently, may take great effort to resolve long-standing sibling conflicts.

Source: Kaplan & Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry (8th Edition)

Editors: Sadock, Benjamin J., Sadock, Virginia A.

Publisher: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005

Chapter: SIBLING RELATIONAL PROBLEM

So it looks that may be right....but look up Malan

Ciao

Solo

Oho you guys haven't seen Deewar? (Amitabh and Shashi Kapoor) :D

Oh Sorry if everyone was serious, and btw that is a classic Hindi movie abt two brothers with intense sib riv with one ending up deader than the other.

Magna,

In the beginning, I was overjoyed to have a patient who was consistent in her attendance while many of my colleagues' patients dropped out in quick succession. Later, I was at the stage where I had no idea if I was coming or going- did'nt have a clue whether I was doing the right thing. Had a good supervisor who encouraged me a lot. I had it in my mind that I was not meant to ask questions at the sessions and it became a lot clearer once I started doing it. Boy, was I glad when I finished the therapy after a year!!!