Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dinesh

Being bullied by nurses?

8 posts in this topic

I am aware that a lot of people face bullying everyday at their work place. At times it is by senior medical staff and sometimes by nursing staff. I wish to use this thread to bring to light bullying issues by the nurses on the wards. Also if someone has come up with any solution(s) to this problem.

I have myself felt bullied by the nurses on a few occasions. Initially I though it was just me, but a few of my colleagues also reported similar incidents. I did discuss this with my Consultant, but there was little he could offer. :(

I wonder what has been the experience of other forum members on this issue.

I am sorry to hear about your experiences...

many would say it is part of the job..

I wonder whether you might be able to share any examples...?

Talking to the particular nurse itself may help...

This is excactly what I said... when I thought I was being bullied...

Probably I am being paranoid... but I feel I am being bullied...

I think we need to have a chat...

And we had a chat... after that... things have been fine...

atleast superficially...

I dont bother anyway...

In fact my consultant did appreciate that we settled things on our own... rather than making a formal complaint...

i had the same experience some times being nice is taken as asign of weakness ,i soke to the ward manager things did settle

I go through bullying everyday from my nurese team leader and operations manager. Raised these in individual meetings and group meeting but nothing seem to work.They always look for opportinity to bring me down.Spoke to consultants but i feel they are themselves victim of their wrath.They dont even speak up as much as i do , so i have now learned hoplessness aand let them run over me.Sometimes i feel if it my colour but seeing my consultants in same boat but bit better than me ,give me some solace.

If you feel bullied by staff, talk to them. If you don't feel you can talk 1:1, consider having a third (neutral) person with you. In most cases, if you can sort it out informally, it's better than through formal complaints.

Bullying is often tolerated because we all accept we're under stress. This should not be the case, as bullying doesn't help either side. You don't have to be friends with everybody at work. Some, you just tolerate, and that's fine. Just make sure you're not going through hell every day, because that'll undermine you (personally and professionally).

Take courage, and try to sort it out. Can be difficult, I know. But you can do it.

All the best.

In my experience with a consultant the quicker you take them to one side and talk about it the better.

Its really hard for someone to continue to bully if there is recognition that thats what they are doing (no one wants to think of them selves as a bully )

Thats what I did and it worked, good luck,

P.S if that fails piss in their petrol tank.

It depends on the definition of bullying.

Usually nurses feel that they have to take the final blame.

Sometimes it's following policies.

However, taking them to your side will get you off any kind of bullying.