Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baigmk

Requirements for Part 2 - Any relaxation?

14 posts in this topic

HI

Just wonder someone could help me here.

I have just passed part 1 and really want to take part 2 in Autumn 2007. My training experience so far is as follows.

1st post: 9 months and 1 week, Gen Adult (started late, continued to work with same consultant)

2nd Post: 6 months, Old Age

3rd Post: 6 months, Gen Adult

4th post: 6 months (till August 07), Gen Adult

If I get a training post in August I will have about 28 and Half months of experience by the date of written exam (11th Sept) which will be 6 weeks short of 30 months. Would college let me take the exam? Would my first post be counted as 9 months or 6+3 months and hence recognised as 6 months only?

I dont have any overseas experience that could be counted towards training.

Your advice appreciated.

Not sure if you would meet the criteria for sitting. You would also need to have some LD, Adolescent or Child and Family experience. Do you have any other medical experience that you could count toward your training time?

looks like you may not be eligible. for eligibility each post is supposed to be a full 6 months so i think you'll be eligible for spring next year rather than autumn this year. ask the college exams dept for the definitive answer. child/ld post is necessary for getting membership not for sitting the part ii. ring them and ask them.

Write to the Dean Dinesh Bhugra and explain your situation - you'll get your answer from the horse's mouth.

[highlight]Write to the Dean Dinesh Bhugra and explain your situation - you'll get your answer from the horse's mouth[/highlight].

Bellerophon. if you believe that you will believe anything even MTAS spin- the dean does not have time to answer such mundane things- people are paid to do so what your dear dean will prbably do is forward the letter to those people or in case the dean reads supperego, he may want to then sign the letter after it has been written by those whose job description is it.........

i think if u talk to the royal college part 2 section they r very useful. have u done any training in say neurology etc here or in another country. u could then get a 6 month reduction in training requirements.

Thanks everyone

I had emailed Paula Matthews and have been advised to write to Associate Dean, Dr Anne Bird. I am going to write to associate dean and see whtats the outcome. Unfortunately I dont have any other medical experience that could count towards training requirements.

Thanks everyone

I had emailed Paula Matthews and have been advised to write to Associate Dean, Dr Anne Bird. I am going to write to associate dean and see whtats the outcome. Unfortunately I dont have any other medical experience that could count towards training requirements.

Perhaps your argument could go along the lines of: with the new ST programme, candidates need to pass their Part II exam by the time the finish their ST-3 training. Unfortunately, they need 36 months of experience in psychiatry before they sit the exam. This means that people would have to sit their Part II during their ST-4 year, which seems contradictory.

Of course, I don't know if FY1 and FY2 count towards training... (anybody any thoughts?)

Things will change with the new exam, but that'll take another year or so.

Good luck.

As a flexible trainee, my jobs are always out of synch with exams and difficult to calculate exact training equivalents. Experience tells me they would count your nine month job as nine months, not six, but they wouldn't let you get away with the six week deficit.

I received a reply from Dr Anne Bird today.

'Given the EXCEPTIONAL CIRCUMSTANCES this year, I am prepared to grant educational approval for you to be eligibel to sit the MRCPsych part II examination this autumn'

May be it could help someone in a similar situation.

Blimey, Shrek, you deserve to pass if enthusiam counts for anything!

I was eligible in March this year and can't even find the motivation to do it in September! :(