Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brainbox

Ever dispensed medication?

6 posts in this topic

During my weekend oncall, I was asked by nursing staff to dispense medication for a patient going on leave.

Team had not written up TTAs and nursing staff 'were not allowed to dispense from medication trolley'. How bizarre.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When asked why, head nurse replies 'because we are not chemists'.

'I m not a chemist either'

'but doctors can and do dispense'

Not wanting to get into a silly argument and keeping the best interests of the patient, I gave the medication (which was carefully labelled and packd in envelopes by the nurse!) to the patient.

Ever had a similar experience?

>:(

Heights of beauracracy

I once had to prepare an intravenous steroid drip for an MS patient. Apparently it's one of the ones nurses can not prepare

During my weekend oncall, I was asked by nursing staff to dispense medication for a patient going on leave.

Team had not written up TTAs and nursing staff 'were not allowed to dispense from medication trolley'. How bizarre.  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

When asked why, head nurse replies 'because we are not chemists'.

'I m not a chemist either'

'but doctors can and do dispense'

Not wanting to get into a silly argument and keeping the best interests of the patient, I gave the medication (which was carefully labelled and packd in envelopes by the nurse!) to the patient.

Ever had a similar experience?

>:(

Heights of beauracracy

Yes many times

The pharmacy do not allow TTA's to be despensed from the trolly

and certainly not by the nursing staff.

the on call doctor or the team doctor can at circumstances despense form the ward stock and an appropriate entry made in the patient notes.

you are also expected to check/lable/advice about the dose.

I certainly believe that there will be a big room for error if the above is done by the nursing staff.

when on call i've been contacted for antihistamines/analgesics to be approved for staff use.

:)

I had an experience very similar to Brainbox's. I think that Drs are more likely to make errors than nurses here, as we are not at all familiar with the layout of medication in the trolley. Either that or spend forever trawling thru the contents of the trolley.Nurses dispense from the trolley daily. In that situation I asked the nurse to show me where the tabs were, then I checked as we jointly dispensed. :-?

I have done the dispensing thing many times. It is slightly frustrating when you see that the nurses know where and which medication itis, but I agree with j's point. Also it is a pain as you have to check, seal envelope, write patient's details, sign and get it countersigned and then... at the end write in the notes. The best was when I had to do this two nights in a row and the patient kept returning without having taken the meds. Ultimately the leave got cancelled and the nurses were none too happy as they had to dispose the meds into the can (for some reason not sent to the pharmacy) :)

'ONTOGENY RECAPITULATES PHYLOGENY'

Sorry, a bit of a digression here, but I just noticed Flapjack's footnote -hey, my (dreaded) embyology lecturer used to write this on the board before starting his lectures! It used to give me the shivers; mysterious sentence, mysterious names 'oocytes', 'trophoblast'..., all delvered by a mysterious man. AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

Those were the days, ay?! :lol: