Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bless

AGE 40-65 and MRCPsych

21 posts in this topic

Hi friends ,

Just a thought ! Is MRCPsych suitable for people like me I wonder! Everything need quick response in addition to knowledge! Critical appraisal is run for time. Long case again is knowing the patient and making a management plan in an hour. PMP- remembering the scenario and telling all they want in 10 mts with some of the examiners constantly warning you about the time left for u.

As I am getting older and my reflexes are slowing and my mind is full of personal management problems I dont know how long I can continue with this.I am not happy with my performance at the clinicals but I dont want to give up at the same time. I am known as a good clinician but the failure in this exam makes me inferior in some respects.Any one in the same state? can some people atleast agree with me?

I guess most people tend to move away from exams as they get older. In my opinion, age does not go against passing exams, and experience can sometimes help (particularly in the clinical exam). However, I do understand the feelings of inadequacy at not passing the exams (what's wrong with me? why can't I pass this exam when lots of other doctors have?). Maybe you could ask around you and see how many SpRs and Consultants would be prepared to sit the exams again.

I passed my Part II after my 40th birthday (first attempt), so it can be done.

The important thing is to focus on your strengths. Make sure you're ready for the exam (it's not all about getting lots and lots of information in your brain and being really fast). Learn what your deficits are and improve them. Consider whether you need to learn more psychiatry or more exam technique; they are quite different things.

Good luck.

dear bless

i am in the same state as you. but i dont think we should give up

I have a few summers before i hit 40 but i can identify with what you are saying.

It does help to think at times that everyones situation is different and you cannot therefore compare yourself with anyone.

Also it is enough if you think sensibly and cover all aspects-there is really no age limit for doing that. On the other hand it gets better with advancing age in that you donot jump to conclusions and thus have a better grasp of the situation.

Hope that helps!!

Relax.

Take your time.

Age is just a number.

8-)

Well, it's supposed to get easier next spring so don't quit now! :lol:

Bless, I'm in the same position, although yet to take part 2. Having turned 40 this year, I am really worried about the amount of stuff to learn for part 2. I failed part 1 first time, which really took me by surprise as I had always found exams easy previously- but my brain was 10 years younger, with no kids (and therefore three doses of progesterone poisoning less to contend with) as well as a lot less alcohol consumed! I now have to do stuff over and over again before it sticks, instead of reading it once the night before the exam.

I would suggest, if you've done the exam in this format before, get the last chance to do it again in the format you're familiar with. If you don't get it this time, the new format next spring might be better. I think there is less to learn for paper 3 of the new exam, and I'd be tempted, if it weren't for the fact that I hate OSCEs!

looks like we have a lot of 'matured' psychiatrists in the forum..

good for us...

My dear lovely friends,

This is to let you all know that I passed my exam this time.I have to admit when I started this topic I was really fed up with my failures but your response was a big relief for me .Thank you for your replies and it was like sharing my feelings with lots of friends.

thank you

That's wonderful, Bless- You are now an inspiration :)

well done bless. Congrats. :)

Perseverance does pay.

Well done dude....I was hoping you would......makes us all feel good! :)

congrats bless.new horizons hopefully will open up for u soon.Enjoy yourself.