Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indusphoenix

Recommend an accountant

27 posts in this topic

Hi

Am planning to go full time locum in coming months.Can some one recommend an accountant in the yorkshire area.

Thanks

Dont go with Pinnacle freelance services. Absolute crap and ripoff!!!

That's scary- I am with Pinnacle!!! :'( :'(

Mckenzie Knights in Manchester, pretty good

1 person likes this

Mckenzie Knights in Manchester, pretty good

Hi wet-rain,

How much do they charge per year

On expensive side, 1.5% of turnover

On expensive side, 1.5% of turnover

pinnacle charges 25£ a week, which is more or less 1.5%, for a 47-50£ per hour via ltd company. But the services of pinnacle is pathetic and useless.

Pinnacle are the worst.

They are highly UNprofessional.

They dont give a damn about their customer.

All they care is their money, sucked from naive people.

They never told me how to manage money.

All they said was we will sort that out dont worry.

Later I found out that, that was a LIE.

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Pinnacle also charge 5% of expenses.

So in a year people may end up paying them around £15,00 or more.

They are liars.

Try hampton these are the guys on doctors net. Apparently they are fantastic.

Consultant 2010 are you contemplating changing accounatan?

I have moved to McKenzie Knight recently so I cant say much about them. But the high quality of McKenzie services is very Obvious so far.

I was deprived of lot of information whilst I was with Pinnacle!

They simply didn't have time to spare around 10mins per fortnight.

Any suggestion of how to get an accountant to sort out tax returns for the last 4 years.

Wonder if its possible to do for 4 years?

Consultant 2010 are you contemplating changing accounatan?

I have moved to McKenzie Knight recently so I cant say much about them. But the high quality of McKenzie services is very Obvious so far.

I was deprived of lot of information whilst I was with Pinnacle!

They simply didn't have time to spare around 10mins per fortnight.

Hi 9696

I have pulled out of pinnacle after 5 months of poor service and am on the lookout for a new accountant. Share your thoughts please, during your free time.

Hi Consultant 2010, I was with them for 6 months. I might have paid them around £800 so far and I paid them to leave them.

The disadvantage is that McKenzie Knight would charge backdated from Sep 2008. So I have lost all those £800 because McKenzie would do from Sep.

Well I thought I had enough with Pinnacle and I prepared to spend that money for the sake good services.

The first thing I am going to do is pay myself a salary which is strongly advised. Where as Pinnacle did not encourage me, when I asked them about salary they told me not to bother about that.

Pinnacle also did not advice me appropriately with regards to expenses. They just allowed me put anything. Now I am thinking that they might have done that because they were getting 10%.

If you are prepared to lose around £700 then you better speak to McKenzie. So far on this thread they are getting good feed back. The reason why I went with them. :)

Any suggestion of how to get an accountant to sort out tax returns for the last 4 years.

Wonder if its possible to do for 4 years?

If your somebody who does a lot of locums then use an accountant otherwise you can do it yourself. What you need to do is simply call up tax office every year before april and give them details of your professional subscription you just need to tell them how much gmc,rcpsych,bma,mdu etc add up and what they do is basically they will add the subscription fees to your tax free personal allowance. I have never claimed course fees and the other things which some people claim back by filing tax returns I am not sure how it works.

I thoroughly recommend Nixon Williams. They are based in Blackpool and have been excellent. No high tech smoke and mirrors stuff, honest, easily accessible by phone/email  and  very competent. I consider them a bargain at £69/month. I reckon £828 per annum is a small price to pay for an excellent service which saves thousands in tax. Heck £828 is just 16 hours work (one overnight on-call!) Post on the forum or PM me if you have any questions.

Hello every one

has anyone heard of Newman morris? are they any good?

Hi euthymic

i recently spoke to an accountant firm,it is possible to sort/claim taxes for a max of 6 yrs retrospectively,if u have never done so before.tHE accountant may charge on a per year basis.

Kris @ Consultant 2010- any luck with your new accoutants?

Kris @ Consultant 2010- any luck with your new accoutants?

Ideally would like to change but currently I am stuck with Pinnacle :'( :'(

Kris!! Please please please don't commit a mistake when you are told not to stay with them!

Sorry to be so blunt but after speaking to my new accountant it is becoming clear that Pinnacle are only finance managers but not Chartered accountants!

My new accountants wrote to them asking for legally required documents they did not reply at all.

You know what Reshmi said to me???? She didn't have those documents. Such a waste of time and money!

Once again please take my SINCERE advice and talk to few more people and save yourself from Pinnacle!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Guys time for the change!!!

Dumping pinnacle- can't believe they were going to charge me to provide tenancy reference!!!!

Sincere thanks to those who shared their experiences with accountants over the last few months. I guess people might have more to add now. It would once again be really helpful.

I have so far spoken to Mckenzie- found him bit rude over the phone and proposes to charge for any changes he would like to do!!!! Nixon williams- appeared ok on the phone and also willing to charge reduced rates for the backdated accounts alongwith no extra charges to make changes on the initial paper work (courtesy Pinnacle- didn't do much!!!)

Not considering SJD- high charges!!! Don't know about Hampton.

Can I request people to spare some time to share their experiences so far with their accountants both good and bad!!!

hi,

I have started Locum recently and I wanted to open the ltd company. I spoke to Mc Kenzie as Kris says they are to the point and not approachable (You can say rude). I am thinking to call Nixon any suggestions.

from contractors forum reviews - SJD seem quite poor at replying (though they do reply in a day or two) and you get a different person each time.

William Nixon seemed to be the people most reccomended when I saw their site.

McKenzie Knight - I have been with them for 3 years and CANNOT recommend them. I have recommended two doctors to them two years ago, but regret it since.

They're okay for a bog standard return.

BUT

- very poor with financial i.e. tax advice i.e. what you can claim back on, how much, whether you can claim travel, what the best way to do this is. My impression of them was 'Listen bub, youre only paying me 140 quid a year. And you're small fry. I need to answer the phone and therefore need to be as brief and unhelpful as possible.'.

- I had overpaid NI as I was on a higher tax bracket for 6 months, and despite repeated reminders (over the past few years as this was in 04). Havent recieved any help.

I thought they were the cheapest around, but I now find that 140 quid they charged is about standard for filing a year's returns.

AND so with accountants like with everybody else.. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.

its no use doing locums and meeting your accountant and he says 'Dont worry about IR35' or worse 'Uhh, whats that?'. You're an adult with a pretty high functioning brain and should be able to tell immediately if you should be worried by it or not and put steps in place (even if it means sacking your current accountant) to sort it out.

my reccomendation:

get an IR35 aware accountant (like william nixon) if you can.

get an IR35 contract looked at by PCG and pay their yearly fees. Circa 150 quid for a year (like roadside vehicle assistance, or laptop (70 quid a year) /phone insurance (7 quid a month) - money well spent) They throw in contract looking up and 70K legal insurance for cover, and a fair few extras. AND have a very healthy (1500-1-5) case record against HMRC.

if you work in a substantive post, get a tax guide from WH Smiths or Waterstone's and read it.

THEN go to the accountant with your strategies and suggestions.

Accountants, like pretty much every other profession here in the UK are shite for doing anything more than the very basic their job requires. They will do a darned good basic job. But little else.

THE OTHER REASON why I would recommend getting an accountant is that it decreases the chances that HMRC will investigate. Because accountants are bound by a strict ethical code and HMRC doesnt think you sitting at home without an accountant will be as trustworthy.

SO read the tax guides. And if anything goes wrong - you have the best possible person to blame - yourself.

And if you dont read the tax guides - you have the worst possible person to blame - yourself.

Edited by slartibartfast
1 person likes this