Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
manigeeth

citizenship for children

7 posts in this topic

Hello

I would be eligible to apply for Indefinite leave based on long residence (10 years continuous lawful residence) later this year.

Would I be able to apply for citizenship for my children, born here even if I am not a british citizen?

Any information/experience appreciated.

Thanks

Hello

I would be eligible to apply for Indefinite leave based on long residence (10 years continuous lawful residence) later this year.

Would I be able to apply for citizenship for my children, born here even if I am not a british citizen?

Any information/experience appreciated.

Thanks

Why not contact the home office as these things are dealt with on a case-case basis. moreover you will be sure of the info you will be getting tham the specualtions you will be ooffered on this forum.

BW

Yes depending on the specific circumstance. If your children are under the age of 10, you can simply register them as citizens using the MN1 form on IND website on account of the fact that you are legally settled. You would have to demonstrate your relationship to them however. On the other hand, if they are over 10, they can still register but checks would have to be made to see if they are of good character and referees requested.

Check the details on the IND website under british nationality.

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/advice/bn9

Children born to people who are not British citizens but who are legally settled here

If neither parent is a British citizen, a child born here on or after 1 January 1983 will still be a British citizen if either the father or mother is legally settled. 'Settled' means ordinarily resident (see paragraph 16) in the United Kingdom without being limited under the immigration laws as to how long the person can stay here. For this purpose, a person cannot be ordinarily resident if he or she is in breach of the immigration laws. We do not consider certain members of diplomatic or consular missions, or members of visiting forces or international organisations as being settled here, even if immigration control does not apply to them

Ordinary residence

Whether a person is ordinarily resident or not depends on the facts of the case. A person who is not limited under the immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which he or she may remain is probably ordinarily resident if he or she:

a. has been living in the United Kingdom for a number of years, without being absent, except for short holidays; and

b. is in the United Kingdom legally (without being in breach of the immigration laws).

Long periods of absence from the United Kingdom (for more than a year, for example) may mean that a person is not ordinarily resident. Shorter periods of absence may also, in some circumstances, mean that a person is no longer ordinarily resident (for example, if he or she left the United Kingdom intending to live abroad permanently).

Thanks wetrain that was a useful link.

ramaniyam

No

they have to be get a PR status just like you and a year later citizenship with u