Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RosyWood

Would you like to know your rankings?

21 posts in this topic

I thought I'd start this as there will be many people with difficult decisions to make over the next few days-

ie. If you haven't been offered your first choice, how do you decide whether to accept or decline an offer you don't really want, when you don't know where you rank on your preferred choices?

In these uncertain times, many people will feel pushed to grab the safest option- any offer at all. If they knew they were at or near the top of the reserve list, and many external applicants were offered jobs at their UoA who did not put it first choice (and thus may well decline that UoA, freeing that post for the reserve list) they may not decide to uproot themselves.

I have asked our College tutor, who was heavily involved with the MTAS interviews, if I can have this information, as the uncertainty is worse than knowing you're at the bottom of the list. Since the SYSH deanery at least, does not appear to have sent anything at all to unsuccessful candidates, we are left in limbo, thus adding to the stress of the whole process.

He has said he will find out for me how much information they are permitted to give out.

Since this procedure was supposed to be transparent, and that is about the only thing that has not been changed by the review group, to my knowledge, I do not see what they have to gain by concealing our rankings. My feeling is that by not being transparent at this point, they will be increasing the disillusionment that a lot of us are feeling with the system, and thus our motivation to work. They may also be forcing families to uproot, or damaging people's quality of life by making them take safe offers which mean long commutes, etc

What do you feel?

Yep, people need as much information as possible to navigate this mess.

Latest information from SYSH College tutor (not J !!!!) is this:

Sheffield Care Trust sent the interview scores to SYSH deanery. So SCT personnel know where everyone is on the rankings. HOWEVER, they have been asked by the deanery not to give ANY information away at all to candidates.

The clinicians were under the impression that all deaneries would simultaneously send out offers as soon as the court judgement became known, ie Friday 25th. They also thought that the super-excellent candidates with 3-4 interviews and 3-4 offers would quickly decline the offers they didn't want, which would then be immediately re-offered to reserve list candidates, before 9th June. They also thought that the deanery would be informing unsuccessful candidates whether they were on the reserve list, or just plain unsuccessful. I'm not sure how you decide how long the reserve list should be, given that it depends entirely on how many higher ranking candidates turn down their offers.

SCT are putting pressure on SYSH deanery to give out information on rankings, as they realise how unfair this is for us all, but so far no joy.

I still do not think there is any reason to conceal this information, unless it's because they are cocking up and want to protect themselves. Given Cosmopolitan's SYSH ST2 experience, I haven't any confidence this isn't the case :-X. (Just remind me why I want to work here, someone?)

I suspect that as more deaneries send out their offers, this is going to become even more important. Possibly even important enough to be moved to the 'Political' threads ;)

. I'm not sure how you decide how long the reserve list should be, given that it depends entirely on how many higher ranking candidates turn down their offers.

Not necessarily, Ros. Only the 'appointable' candidates would be in the reserve list. But I completely agree with your point. They should give rankings as soon as possible.

True, Wastu. I was reckoning that since all of us have been appointable once (or we wouldn't have our current jobs), we should be this time!

True, Wastu. I was reckoning that since all of us have been appointable once (or we wouldn't have our current jobs), we should be this time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They don't think that way , though.

I'd love to know mine but for a different reason.

I have been offered a job in Wales but have no idea where at the moment. A job in South East Wales would be my first choice out of all deaneries but in North or West Wales it would be behind my other choices. If you were to somehow manage to get more than one offer how can you make an informed choice?

I hope I don't sound ungrateful

Blimey Paulie, hadn't thought of that scenario!

The plot thickens.....

Am now hearing of people who have offers from non-first choice and don't know where or if they are on the reserve list of their preferred place.

Should we start a multi-coloured swap shop on Superego??? :D

True, Wastu. [highlight]I was reckoning that since all of us have been appointable once (or we wouldn't have our current jobs[/highlight]), we should be this time!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They don't think that way , though.

you miss the plot... they have suddenly realised that what they mistoook as out appropriateness was just delusional- we were not what we sya we are- hence our being unappointable now..................

Daisee, my feeling about that is if we were appointable before we got  our current contracts, and are now mysteriously not appointable, it reflects rather damn badly on the training we have received in the meantime, don't you think? :-X

Daisee, my feeling about that is if we were appointable before we got  our current contracts, and are now mysteriously not appointable, [highlight]it reflects rather damn badly on the training we have received in the meantime, don't you think[/highlight]? :-X

absolutely, though they (ie. these appointing officers ::)) will argue they were waiting for the right time with the right excuse to kick us out- and then came MMC

Daisee, my feeling about that is if we were appointable before we got  our current contracts, and are now mysteriously not appointable, it reflects rather damn badly on the training we have received in the meantime, don't you think? :-X

or local politics, favouritsm and nepotism

Daisee, my feeling about that is if we were appointable before we got  our current contracts, and are now mysteriously not appointable, [highlight]it reflects rather damn badly on the training we have received in the meantime, don't you think[/highlight]? :-X

absolutely, though they (ie. these appointing officers ::)) will argue they were waiting for the right time with the right excuse to kick us out- and then came MMC

doesnt seem as a kicking-out to me, there is a clever 'give ftsta-if-sho contract-remains' that runs underneath - atleast in some places

Just thought I'd make sure this went back on to page 1, now more offers are out.

I'm curious to know why people want to know their rankings when they've got their first choice!

I certianly do not want to know my ranking-I had only one interview- and don't want to be told that I came last! At least, if I don't get an offer, I can delude myself into thinking that I was next in the list- if I don't know my ranking! :lol:

i'm not totally sure i'm allowed to post some of these responses, but i will.

Latest information from SYSH College tutor (not J !!!!) is this:

Sheffield Care Trust sent the interview scores to SYSH deanery. So SCT personnel know where everyone is on the rankings. HOWEVER, they have been asked by the deanery not to give ANY information away at all to candidates.

told. not asked.

The clinicians were under the impression that all deaneries would simultaneously send out offers as soon as the court judgement became known, ie Friday 25th. They also thought that the super-excellent candidates with 3-4 interviews and 3-4 offers would quickly decline the offers they didn't want, which would then be immediately re-offered to reserve list candidates, before 9th June.

it was known that some places wouldn't have finished their interviews and so that not everywhere would be offering immediately. we were not enitrely sure if posts could be reoffered as soon as they were rejected, but we did want that to happen and asked the deanery. ultimately the deanery made their own decision and i'm happy that they are offering straight away rather than waiting.

They also thought that the deanery would be informing unsuccessful candidates whether they were on the reserve list, or just plain unsuccessful.

i'd say it was more like we didn't know and we thought that was the best way and said that was what they should do and they have decided not to do that.

I'm not sure how you decide how long the reserve list should be, given that it depends entirely on how many higher ranking candidates turn down their offers.

it's a decision that has been made by consensus of the interviewers based on which applicants were thought to have demonstrated at interview (according to predefined criteria) that they would be able to progress through training. it was not based on the number of posts available or the number of applicants.

SCT are putting pressure on SYSH deanery to give out information on rankings, as they realise how unfair this is for us all, but so far no joy

I still do not think there is any reason to conceal this information, unless it's because they are cocking up and want to protect themselves. Given Cosmopolitan's SYSH ST2 experience, I haven't any confidence this isn't the case :-X. (Just remind me why I want to work here, someone?)

i agree there is no reason to conceal this. locally i have heard no-one saying that it should be concealed. the deanery decide this though so it's up to them. they seem to have decided differently to us.

you want to work here cos sheffield is close to some hills and there's lots of nice walks, some metal is made here and it has more green space/trees than any other city. it is also a nice shade of orange, money grows on trees and most of all because you like paying lots of council tax.

it's a different kind of job though.

an st post is in effect an spr-type post in that it is a post given until cct with the expectation that you will make it to that level ie eligible to apply for consultant jobs. an sho post is given with enitrely different expectations ie that you have a 50% chance of progression to cct.

Thanks for responding, J!

I did say the opinions were not yours... and not just PR's either....but this was what I was told. I don't pretend to have any more accurate information than any other trainee on this site.

Clarity and correct information from any horses' mouths are very welcome at this time, I feel.

you want to work here cos sheffield is close to some hills and there's lots of nice walks, some metal is made here and it has more green space/trees than any other city.  it is also a nice shade of orange, money grows on trees and [highlight]most of all because you like paying lots of council tax[/highlight].

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me.

Where are the money trees? Fulwood?