Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest brainy

Helping Communities

12 posts in this topic

I am sure that many of us in this forum must have had ideas about helping the poor and needy in the world. I wish to generate some thoughts about the best ways to do it. I am aware that there are internet sites but you do not get the personal feeling. We have to be aware of endemic corruption in many parts of the world. Adoption of a village and developing some sort of services like drinking water , school books, bnf or anything that could help uplift some of the disadvantaged people. I am from India and came across an intersting organisation. This guy, the first I have known in my city releases mentally ill people from Chains, gives them food and shelter and finds them jobs. He literally runs a psychiatric service on his own. You can see aspects of treatment, rehab, respect for human rights. I am sure most of us are willing to give a lot in return to our homeland.

It would encouraging if people post about the best way forward avoiding politicians and all sorts of charlatans to make a difference to some people in this world. We can also open a charity account, ask our webmaster to help us with this and on behalf of the forum, make a big difference.

www.udavumkarangal.org  is the website. It can be a good example to start.

I don't think there is a right way and a wrong way for this. If you ask ten different people how they could best help the poor and those in need, they'll give you ten different replies. I think you have to decide what you think is best in your mind, what you're prepared to do and who you want to help.

I don't think setting up a charity account through here would help.

Of course, this is my personal opinion.

Oreta, i am aware of what you have expressed in your thread. I know myself that there are hundred ways of doing it. I want to generate thoughts form many people . That is the way we function in a society. Thanks for your opinion anyway.

Setting up an account linked some how to the cafe would certainly bring reliability.

I am not from India but like to come on board.

I agree whooollllllllllllyyyy with the idea. Lets get some thought into it. I have been thinking of starting an Non govt Organisation to help mentally ill. I think this should help in setting something up similar. Just charity however I don't want. i want some project of my own. Dorian, of course there is corruption but I don't think you can ignore the administration in this sort of a venture as that is the first place you could go for help. Keeping the pitfalls in mind we can try to ensure transparency in our efforts. BTW although I am from North India I think this could be an umbrella for anyone else to try in their own place. I think the current structure of healthcare in India is unhelpful in providing the support for the mentally ill lower socioeconomic strata people and to address this private initiative may be the way forward. i looked at the website, impressive.

I am sure that many of us in this forum must have had ideas about helping the poor and needy in the world. I wish to generate some thoughts about the best ways to do it. I am aware that there are internet sites but you do not get the personal feeling. We have to be aware of endemic corruption in many parts of the world. Adoption of a village and developing some sort of services like drinking water , school books, bnf or anything that could help uplift some of the disadvantaged people. I am from India and came across an intersting organisation. This guy, the first I have known in my city releases mentally ill people from Chains, gives them food and shelter and finds them jobs. He literally runs a psychiatric service on his own. You can see aspects of treatment, rehab, respect for human rights. I am sure most of us are willing to give a lot in return to our homeland.

It would encouraging if people post about the best way forward avoiding politicians and all sorts of charlatans to make a difference to some people in this world. We can also open a charity account, ask our webmaster to  help us with this and on behalf of the forum, make a big difference.

www.udavumkarangal.org  is the website. It can be a good example to start.

good idea buddy... count me in 8-)

Does anyone have friends in their countries who might be interested to contribute in the effort?

Flakjack, lad and docpurrs, thanks for your ideas. We have to ponder over the best way of doing it. Transparency should be maximum if you ever receive contributions. We have to register our organisation as a charity first. Once we get a charity number, then things can start moving ahead. I will find out about registration but can someone find out about the creation of a common account which can be made visible to contributors. I know that i am not making too much sense about the account but can you folks think about ways of increasing transparency.

A charity for the mentally ill would be a welcome idea as we can feel closer . Any suggestions?. The country doesnt matter i think. We live in a global society but it would be of particular relevance to developing countries which have poor support structures

well charity begins at home, i always make it sure that i should help my family and relatives first before embarking on further projects.

paying 2.5% of my savings annualy does that for me and it goes long way back in India with the conversion rate.

cheers

Thank you for that thought Wetrain, nice to know your sensibility, but we are talking about something else. Of course we are only talking but there might be a time to bite as well.