Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scotthall

Co-ordination of offers between deaneries

11 posts in this topic

Please forgive me if this thread has been posted previously.....

If someone were to have an offer at this stage from a deanery other than their first choice, would it be possible to accept and then accept again should they be offered their first choice next week? Does the MTAS monster still exist to exclude candidates who have accepted offers this week from those offered next week (gosh! just read that and it sounds complicated)

Heard from a colleague who got GP first and then Psych. The deaneries won't let him take Psych. I guess that might apply to ST1/2/3.

Not sure, but I would assume not :(

In the offers I have seen, it states that by accepting this offer you agree to turn down any offers you may hold at other deaneries. I assume this would still stand with any forthcoming offers..... but again, that's just a guess :-/

My point is that hypothetically, we could ignore such advice and turn down an offer which we had accepted this week should a first choice offer come along next week. I wondered what checks were in place to stop this happening.....I am talking hypothetically of course.....

You could be referred to the GMC? If it was found out.

in all seriousness...the GMC stance in such a situation is that we would only be considered culpable if we caused the trust/deanery involved to be stuck with an unfilled vacancy come august 1st...as there are an abundance of candidates on reserve lists, this is highly unlikely

well my example was from the same deanery but your arguement would stand in this case as well. So just to explain the colleague had been warned by the deanery that they would do it.

Heard from a colleague who got GP first and then Psych. The deaneries won't let him take Psych. I guess that might apply to ST1/2/3.

well my example was from the same deanery but your arguement would stand in this case as well. So just to explain the colleague had been warned by the deanery that they would do it.

The deanery are playing big bad bossman to scare your friend off. The fact is, they really have no right to tell an individual which job offer they are allowed to accept and if your friend consulted an employment lawyer I feel they might back down. Look at the non release of rankings, the deaneries are actively flouting legislation to suit their own selfish needs while they happily go about screwing over their own SHO's. I hope people like your friend start to take them on because they are threatening people for doing things that are perfectly within their own rights to do. They may very well threaten to report your friend to the GMC but the fact is even the GMC (assuming they were remotely interested in you friends case) have to bow to the law and have been forced to do so many times in the past.

I don't see how people can be obliged to confirm acceptance of a post without being given a job description, or without having had the opportunity to negotiate salaries etc. Obviously, we are in a difficult position but, fundamentally, we have very little idea of what we're being asked to accept. I have been lucky in that my offering UoA does provide reasonable details on its website, but even this is signicantly less than I would have had if I had been appointed through the old system. I have very little idea what my on-call commitments will be like or where I will be posted between three large counties. The fact that certain deaneries (hello, West Midlands) are being extremely unhelpful re:the reserve list position is unhelpful too. My post does sound like a great opportunity on paper, and I will almost certainly accept, but many people are being forced into making commitments in the absence of complete knowledge due to the threat of career meltdown if unsuccessful in round 2.

I don't see how people can be obliged to confirm acceptance of a post without being given a job description, or without having had the opportunity to negotiate salaries etc. Obviously, we are in a difficult position but, fundamentally, we have very little idea of what we're being asked to accept. I have been lucky in that my offering UoA does provide reasonable details on its website, but even this is signicantly less than I would have had if I had been appointed through the old system. I have very little idea what my on-call commitments will be like or where I will be posted between three large counties. The fact that certain deaneries (hello, West Midlands) are being extremely unhelpful re:the reserve list position is unhelpful too. My post does sound like a great opportunity on paper, and I will almost certainly accept, but many people are being forced into making commitments in the absence of complete knowledge due to the threat of career meltdown if unsuccessful in round 2.

read the acceptance advise of the BMA. I know the org has been crap but this piece of info cud be helpful