Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
panchufx

FTSTA Accept or wait?

13 posts in this topic

Having been offered an FTSTA in ST2 and now realizing that you cannot accept this and then be eligible to apply for round 2, I am a bit concerned.

What could you do if you get an FTSTA this round and realize that there are...say... 45 ST posts all over the country in round 2. Could you make a case for declining this job and applying for ST in the second round even after you have accepted it?

Don't know what to do as my consultant who works in the deanery says that there is no way that she can see people getting onto ST training in the coming years other than at ST1!!!!

Any thoughts??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Having been offered an FTSTA in ST2 and now realizing that you cannot accept this and then be eligible to apply for round 2, I am a bit concerned.

What could you do if you get an FTSTA this round and realize that there are...say... 45 ST posts all over the country in round 2. Could you make a case for declining this job and applying for ST in the second round even after you have accepted it?

Don't know what to do as my consultant who works in the deanery says that there is no way that she can see people getting onto ST training in the coming years other than at ST1!!!!

Any thoughts??

YOU WILL HAVE TO BRAVE ENOUGH TO DECLINE FTSTA and you are right anyone who takes up an offer in round 1 wont be eligible for round 2......................

gud luk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would definetly accept

Round 2?????No body knows what chaos it will bring,may be worse than round 1 who knows.

better to have a job in hand now,things would probably settle in a year time and you could have better options then

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Round 2 adtverts not out yet. How do you know they wont say people with FTSTAs in round 1 can only apply for STs in round 2? They can say anything. Rules have been changing like a confused chamelion's colour. I am in the same dilema. I am going for FTSTA though.

The main difficulty is which FTSTA to choose. The one you dont choose, you lose the chance of being 'promoted' to ST if enough STs drop out. Its like betting on horses. Dont know which will win. Dont know my rank in FTSTA list. Dont know how many STs will opt out. But have to choose a deanery, much like betting in races...will my horse win......??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

corpus, I thought that if you are on one deanery's list and a ST position becomes available that's it...are you sure that you don't get it if you didn't accept the FTST?

I suppose this will make people cling on their offers longer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's quite unfair and difficult really, coz if u get a ftsta somewhere else n are hoping for at least a ftsta in your local deanery after 10th maybe ( where u would imagine you would have a higher chance of getting a ST post in the future, coz even if the interviews were crap the people basically have an idea how you are etc, well--), you are compelled to accept the ftsta elsewhere for fear of unemployment, where as you may get it in your own deanery after the 10th of June and it's a shame to have to move just for a year perhaps with uncertainties, and possibly a post maybe coming up locally soon--- but we want to be safe!! MTAS didnt think of these possibilities did they? we should be allowed to accept anything till at least end of round 1..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think accepting FTSTA would be the wise decision because at FTSTA year level, there is a strong possibility of an extension for another year which gives a good chance to complete membership exam..One can definitely plan for future in the next 2 years..

By not accepting the already offered post might lead to no offer at all which would be tragic and devastating...u have to weigh adv and disadv....good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys there is good news after all!! I have been offered the ST2 post and so I do not have the dilemma of choosing an FTSTA now and wondering about the ST opportunities in round 2.

Thanks for all the advice anyway...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in similar situation. THE PROBLEM BEING NO ONE KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT YEAR TO FTSTA DOCS. If it is just to fill post for 1 year with very less hope to enter st4 then I would prefer a staff grade rather than ftsta. On othe hand people are also saying that royal college would not allow staff grades to take exams....its all mess . >:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I am in similar situation. THE PROBLEM BEING NO ONE KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT YEAR TO FTSTA DOCS. If it is just to fill post for 1 year with very less hope to enter st4 then I would prefer a staff grade rather than ftsta. On othe hand people are also saying that royal college would not allow staff grades to take exams....its all mess . >:(

hey where did u hear that staff grades will henceforth not be allowed to give exams, is it true?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0