Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Katerina

Norwich or London KSS

12 posts in this topic

I do not want to sound ungrateful. I am the happiest woman in the world..but...I have to make a choice that[ch8217]s making me sick.

I got 2 ST1 offers .Eastern Deanery (I[ch8217]m pretty sure I[ch8217]ll get the Norfolk rotation, but not Cambridge) and, London KSS

My hubby has a decent IT job in Norwich, but this is not permanent. I have no children and no mortgage.  

I can[ch8217]t decide what would be the best choice for the next 6 years...

Norwich: I do not move, I stay with hubby, hubby may be unemployed in the future

London KSS: huge deanery, dunno if the rotations are worth the hype coz I[ch8217]ve never worked there,

Will have to live apart from hubby until he finds a new job!Possibly easier for an IT person to find a job  in the future?

Any suggestions b4 tomorrow welcome!!! :-/

IMHO

London offers very nice opportunities for both of you...rotations are good (cannot say whether they justify the word hype....) and there must be plenty of posts around for IT people especially with the Olympics approaching...

so there you go...

would be nice to be here when the olympics are on ...!

I think you might get biased opinions from many people though...!

i would say norwich as if you choose London KSS, you might end up working ina horrible hospital, trust me i am telling you from my own experience.

Good Luck

Katerina,

Without knowing what experience you have of Norwich and the quality of training there - which should be a consideration as well - the logical course would seem to stay with where you're familiar.

Besides all the external stuff - moving house, fitting in with your husband, starting somewhere new all together - by living in Norwich already you're in a position of strength with the deanery there. You're likely to have more influence over getting a placement close to where you live (if you want that) then someone who's had to move from elsewhere. That may not be fair for someone else but its logical to favour those who are settled already and have at least one person content rather than two unsettled doctors.

If you come to the London deanery and get allocated to one of the 5 or 6 rotations there, you're the one likely to be allocated out of the way somewhere - the logic being well you have to move anyway.

You don't need me to say this is a unique (and appalling) time. Everyone just wants to get through it and see happens next.

If your personal life takes you out of Norwich in the future you could look to transfer deaneries - people have done that as SHO's and SpRs. That will happen as ST's as well though for now the deaneries will just be concerned with filling their posts.

Even if your life was to take you to London or somewhere in between, you could transfer to Essex within the Eastern deanery which is closer to London than some parts of the London deanery on the South coast.

Good luck with it and congratulations

hi

accept eastern..... london is not central london or maudsley GKT .... who knows u may get a position somewhere in kent like gillingham not a good place to live. i think it will be better for ur hubby as well to be in norwich as it is big town and opportunities are more as compared to kent...............

Please don't be so negative about Kent, I've lived and worked for the past 5 years in the East of Kent. I can tell you that the jobs, consultants and inpatient nurses are excellent and I'm sometimes shocked to hear the horror stories from some of my friends working in London, where wards are sometimes run by agency staff who haven't got a clue what they're doing. On the other hand I must admit there are little to no decent job prospects for IT or Maths people locally (my other half is a mathematician so we've got the experience unfortunately...) which could imply 4 hours commuting daily from Canterbury or so to London for the IT job. Hope this helps.

Hi pj,

I have just accepted st 1 offer in london/kss deanery.After having read your posting, I have become very skeptical about accepting london. Is it that bad. It made me regret my decision as I could have waited to see if I had recieved any more offers form other deaneries where I was interviewed. I was on waiting list for mercey and nothern.

do you think I should not have accepted?

Please don't be so negative about Kent, I've lived and worked for the past 5 years in the East of Kent. I can tell you that the jobs, consultants and inpatient nurses are excellent and I'm sometimes shocked to hear the horror stories from some of my friends working in London, where wards are sometimes run by agency staff who haven't got a clue what they're doing. On the other hand I must admit there are little to no decent job prospects for IT or Maths people locally (my other half is a mathematician so we've got the experience unfortunately...) which could imply 4 hours commuting daily from Canterbury or so to London for the IT job. Hope this helps.

Hi pj,

I have just accepted st 1 offer in london/kss deanery.After having read your posting, I have become very skeptical about accepting london. Is it that bad. It made me regret my decision as I could have waited to see if I had recieved any more offers form other deaneries where I was interviewed. I was on waiting list for mercey and nothern.

do you think I should not have accepted?

London has great and crap rotations so don't worry too much. If you're interested in research, inner city party life, and working with a couple of big names then London is a good choice. If you prefer small hospitals (where everyone knows everyone), proper continuity of care, good supervision and a countryside lifestyle then maybe not. Though hey you might get the great East Kent...