Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
savant

Accept and then... accept?

10 posts in this topic

Someone help me out here. If I choose to accept an offer (my 3rd choice) since the deadline is on Sunday, but if either my 1st or 2nd choice UoAs come in with an offer after 10th June.... can I reverse my original acceptance, so as to accept the new offer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think thats real problem for me and I am sure for many others. I donot think we have any other option once we have accepted a post we cannot refuse it later even if you get your first choice. Someone, who is after you on the first list may become lucky then. I would seek others views on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can accept an FTSTA post and then turn it down later if you get offered a run-through, but you can't turn down an ST once you've accepted it. I suggest you try to find someone at your first or second choice deanery who will tell you your ranking confidentially, so you know whether it's worth taking a risk.

If you post here what your 1st and 2nd choices were, someone might pm you if they know of any likely contacts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the above is the official position, people on other forums think that there is more flexibility. Apparently the GMC guidance is that if you accept a job offer you have to take that job UNLESS you give adequate time for the employer to fill the post. In the past this has been one month. Also, given the complete shambles of MTAS/MMC the chances of you being referred to the GMC for pulling out of an offer must be close to zero. I suppose the worst thing (and a complete disaster!) would be if your second choice deanery informed the first choice and they revoked your offer. There's nothing to suggest this would happen.

However, this is all heresay. You might want to check the GMC guidance first.

I hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a waiting game but at the end of the day you will have to make a choice at some point, how much you want to wait it's a different matter;

personally I wouldn't risk accepting an ST offer and than rejecting it (apart from the FTSTA which is allowed) but it's your decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Muddy...

[highlight]however i do know someone who did accept a Scotland offer ST and then received 1st choice offer and spoke to Scotland and rejected it,[/highlight]

Could you tell me when did your friend turn down that offer? I asked the deanery long time back and they informed me that only one person rejected the offer in Scotland.In this point I wonder whether is this your friend or a different person. I and other friends, who are in the reserve list, would be happy to know about it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's obviously advantageous to know your ranking position like the candidates that are hedging on Scotland, because even if one was mad enough to gamble and reject a 3rd choice offer cuz they knew they were next on the waiting list, it would be a considered madness :D Which just makes it even more infuriating that every other English UoA refuses to release info re: rankings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sticky dilemma!

The only thing I'll say is that ......

if you accept your first offer, I think there is no way another other deanery will know you have accepted it. Given the fact that they are unable to co ordiniate releasing offers and they general complete choas that is currenlty happening, they will not be co ordinated enough to exchange information amongst themselves. The myth of the 'central computer' ticking off names as soon as you accept something, is just that...a myth! For example, what happened to all the threats about people using companies to fill out application forms and sophisticated computers to check for plagerism-nada thats what!

I think we have been put in a difficult situation and screw 'em! Accept ST offers and then dump them if something better comes along-we owe this crowd nothing and its their own fault for putting us all in this situation.

I agree with the person who spoke about the months notice for rejecting an offer following accepting it.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth....I suppose its easy to say when I'm on the outside looking in.

Good luck with making your decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi perfection i'm not completely sure but about very early in june i would imagine as their 1st choice came out around that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is all a big lie being built by MMC that you cannot reject an offer after accpeting it.

Nothing (including GMC good practise) would get in between your contract between you and the deanery.

If the contract which is a legal document says that you can leave with a months notice, then you can leave. GMC cannot and will not dare perscute you for this...No one can bind you to a job >> that is inhumane.//

Of course in a system you cannot get another offer somewhere else if you reject one offer after accepting this, but with the breakdown of MMC and scotland / england going separate ways this is unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0