Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
veggybutcher

Application process racial discrimination?

10 posts in this topic

I just wondered. Now the results are out , who still thinks the process was motivated in a way that discriminated by race?

I think the process was fair but only with important modification forced on by the Bapio action which forced DOH to concede that those IMGs on HSMP should be treated on par with UK & EEU graduates.

I also feel that if remedyUK had won the case and the first round was cancelled, then it would have been unfair to this fair process (fair in terms of racial discrimination that is).

I must add that at the local level there was a chance for discrimination but the interview panels, it seems, did a fairly good and unbiased selection. Kudos to all of them.

(I must add, there are still some really meritorius shos who are being left unemployed in training jobs at the end of this process, which is sad)

I think many IMG's got jobs- not just in Psych, but also in other specialties- my friends in Paediatrics and Medicine managed to get on to RT, and even one friend in Dermatalogy- was an IMG. I also know of 2 locals who have not got any jobs. If there was bias in a interview- I think it was more in favour of trainees on the local rotation- and that too only in a few deaneries- but even that cannot be really proved. The other factor is the reduced number of posts- so obviouly lots of highly qualified people had to miss out. Yes, I would say that overall, there has not been any bias towards anyone- it can be debated whether the format of the application form/interview necessarily picked the best candidates- but then which form of selection is totally foolproof! As I have said before- it is the finality of this process that hurts the most- if they allowed us to apply and reapply- then this failure would be much easier to accept!

It seems that the current recruitment:

1. favoured more females than males (all ethnic categories inlcuded) and

2. there were less asian males recruited this time (? equal opportunity monitoring effect)

Man, of COURSE they can't stop ALL IMGs from getting jobs. That would be tantamount to stupidity and open to legal proceeding from all (british and european) courts. So they HAD to recruit some from outside. AND some specialities can't FUNCTION without IMGs (at the moment!) because 40-60% of the junior workforce is such (cause no locals want to do the jobs). BUT the BAPIO thing was a blow to their strategy. They ( being the establishment)couldn't let remedy win cause they don't know what is going to happen with the appeal apart from the disgrace. If you doubt me then please read the Commission for Race Equity report slamming the govt. for the HSMP decision and accusing them of trying to change the ethnic profile of the population by such rules. Of course the process was DESIGNED to be discriminatory to again set RIGHT the balance of the workforce (read the famous letter written by president of Obs Gyn college). Now the BMA president is ethnically an Asian. Conspiracy theory anyone?

That's outrageous...they are playing the game quite well! Somebody mentioned 'ethnic cleansing'....

Well I don't think it is 'cleansing', that is a bit extreme. But there is definitely a hidden agenda behind these changes that is DIFFERENT to just improving the poor doctors' lives.

no point complaining but i believe some amount of discrimination or favouritism is bound to take place everywhere and england is no different..

no point complaining but i believe some amount of discrimination or favouritism is bound to take place everywhere and england is no different..

Yes but the hypocrisy hurts.