Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tornodo

Risk of accepting ST job in lower preference

8 posts in this topic

If you accept a job in a deanery, which is not your first preference, will they take you off from MTAS? Why should they take our name off from the MTAS , as we have the right to get in to a higher order of preference, if seats become available later? It is not a informed decision we are taking now as many deaneries are not giving out the information regarding reserve status (even after repeated requests)!

Good question.

It would appear that London and a few other deaneries will have vacancies at all levels including St4 (possibly) for round 2.

Is anyone still consulting MTAS for anything at all??

this is true.

I have to relocate completely now(accepted in 4th choice pref), and count myself very lucky for getting st at all. i know very few who got ST anywhere and practically no-one in my trust who got ST home deanery.

but if i get lucky with another offer in my home deanery, what are the implications (legal etc) if we reject the accepted offer...

also, aren't all the st posts allocated already, if there are any left they should be given to ftsta offers in round 1. are they holding bac a certain number of st posts for round2?

if so, we should be entitled to know how many, as we should be entitled to know our ranking in order to weigh up the risks of accepting or declining.

but these ba*****s have forfeited all our rights and are making us gamble with no information at all. I am sure it is legally and ethically wrong (48 hrs to make a life changing decision based on no information over a weekend where no-one is contactable), but if there was any challenge, theye would again move the goalposts just to screw us all over again..

Dear Tornado,

I am not sure whether the deanery people would check if someone has already accepted another post on the MTAS website. But, you never know. I think if someone has accepted a post they would not receive further offers since MTAS would be updated? can someone opine.

I think there is probably more flexibility than people think there is. If you got an offer from your own deanery this week and phoned the deanery that had offered you before they would probably let you away with it. I don't see how they could argue that you've left them without someone to fill their post when firstly it's still over the notice period until you start and secondly they have a bloody great list of people who want to work there sitting in front of them.

Same old story!!!

This is nothing new. If you accept a job and then decline should a better offer come your way then the trust gets upset and potentially can refer you to the GMC. The GMC clearly states that we can only reject if the trust has enough time to find someone else. I think a month is enough time but who knows.

Do what you need to do, I'm sure most consultants are sympathetic to our predicaments. Its just like most of complaints, they are avoidable with good communication.

I've been messed up too. I have to move. miles away from any potential child care.

I agree with Smithy

the SHO and therefore presumably ST1-3 contract has a 1 month period of notice inbuilt.So I dont see the problem with giving plenty of notice and saying 'thank you very much but Ive got something better'

I dont think the superhuman MTAS computer exists anymore.so I dont think having accepted an offr in the 1st round will 'take you off the system'

all the best