Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
psychoanalytix

Offered a second ST4 , what to do...

18 posts in this topic

I wonder if anyone else has the same situation :

I got st4 Gen Adult in london/kss during the first round. I acepted it before the deadline as I was not getting any other offers, and did not know if i was on the waiting list/reserve list for any other post.

Today I've been offered st4 in child and Adolescent in E0E.

This was my first choice.

What options do I have? Is it possible to talk to the deaneries, and see if I can be allowed to accept this second offer and deline the first?:? Is this an admin error, where I should not have been offered this second job offer neway???

I've contacted BMA, but since it's after 6pm, i had to email rather than call... :(

Ne1 else in the same boat as me?? any suggestions??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very interested to see what the BMA has to say???

IMHO I think I would accept the EOE offer first (since this was your preferred option...) and then decline the London one....

I don't think this is an administrative error, as there was not MTAS in place to chuck people with offers out of the pool of people getting subsequent offers...!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm interested in finding out what BMA has to say as well.

It is tempting to accept the EoE offer, but since I've said i accept the london job, I'm not sure it will be appropriate :P

if i had been applying for st1 - 3, or st4 in the same subspeiality, then i guess it would not be as bad for me... because its two entirely different subspecialities - i feel the usual set of rules for everyone is particularly unfair

At the end of the day, I'll settle for any job, but given the choice .... sigh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had been offered ftsta3 in london/kss on friday which i accepted,subsequently i was offered

st3 at eastern yesterday which i have now confirmed.When i called them this morning they

knew that i had an ftsta3 offer in london and informed me that they will let london/kss know that i have accepted st3 post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Psychoanalytix!!!! Snap yourself out of whatever learned helplessness phase you are in and accept the job that you would prefer to do!!!! You have been fortunate enough to be offered your first job, and yet you think you should decline it because you have already accepted an offer???!?!?!?!?

Have you seen how unfair the system has treated everyone?! Why do them any favours? Why accept a job in a specialty that was not your first choice? Why end up working as a consultant in a subspecialty that was not the one you wanted to do??!?!

You only need to give a months notice for resigning from these jobs, so you are easily leaving the deaneries ample time to reoffer the job, or put it into round 2. And remember they don't actually care about you. You do what you want to do. And to hell with the system. It has changed beyond recognition from where it started anyway. You don't owe them any favours!!!!!

Kind regards,

Chris.

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PA, when u applied for the job first ie when the stupid MTAS applications came out- ur first choice was C and A, in Eastern. Now at that time they said they would let know the first round results on April 19 or something like that- and technically u wud have got both the offers on the same day- u would have accepted one and declined the other. But because of no fault of urs(and purely because they screwd it up), u have to now accept a job- which is not exactly ur first choice. I wud say talk to both deaneries and explain to them(if the thick skinned fellows bother to listen), and I think u should take up ur first choice and show the middle finger to London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Psychoanalytix!!!! Snap yourself out of whatever learned helplessness phase you are in and accept the job that you would prefer to do!!!! You have been fortunate enough to be offered your first job, and yet you think you should decline it because you have already accepted an offer???!?!?!?!?

Have you seen how unfair the system has treated everyone?! Why do them any favours? Why accept a job in a specialty that was not your first choice? Why end up working as a consultant in a subspecialty that was not the one you wanted to do??!?!

You only need to give a months notice for resigning from these jobs, so you are easily leaving the deaneries ample time to reoffer the job, or put it into round 2. And remember they don't actually care about you. You do what you want to do. And to hell with the system. It has changed beyond recognition from where it started anyway. You don't owe them any favours!!!!!

Kind regards,

Chris.

:)

Well said Chris and Raja!

Too right, I wish I had this sort of worries these days   ::)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in this mess one should go for a safer option, having accepted the offer first in order to avoid any complication ie keep the offer first accepted.  Although the system is unfair, but that should not guide us to make decisions which might prove to be complicated later on.

Anyway that is my personal view.

and as far as i understand MTAS website might be off for the candidates but it is still available for use by the postgraduate deans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanx for all the tips... I find myself agreeing with almost all that's been said, depending on what frame of mind i'm in.... I don't want to do anything rash . an email to a dean, hopefully contact with bma and people answering my phone calls in both deanery will help make things easy ... don't want to screw up on the whole good practices thingy...

CArlo, i know, it does sound petty, literally days after thinking i've got no job...well either ways, someone will get one of the two posts which have offered to me ... i wish u luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the way I understand the current system , you're stuck with the first offer as once you accept an offer you are not allowed to accept another as long as it's an St post rather than FTTA.

my advice is to try to talk to the deaneries today to check if they allow you to decline the first offer you got, go there by person as I don't think that you'll achieve any thing by calling the london deanery as they hardly respond according to other posting.

good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PROCESS FOR ISSUING RE-OFFERS OF ST POSTS AFTER

10TH JUNE

(Message issued via DOTS and SST on 8th June)

ST posts that become available after the 10th June deadline will be re-offered

in interview ranking order.

We will not make re-offers to the following categories of candidate:

a) candidates who have been offered or re-offered a post in their first

preference sector,

B) candidates who have already a received an offer which is the best

they can expect, due to there being no posts on offer in their higher

preferences, or all the posts available in their higher ranked sectors

having already been offered and accepted.

c) candidates who have accepted a post in another specialty

d) candidates who have rejected a ST post in the specialty in question

The first candidate who is reached, where there is now a post available in a

sector which is a higher preference for them, will be offered that post,

regardless of whether they have already accepted a post in a lower

preference sector.Where the next candidate in line for ST re-offers has already been offered a

FTSTA post, that candidate will be offered the ST post which is now available,

regardless of their having accepted a FTSTA post.

the way i read this more people should be expecting offers if they have had to accept a lower preference offer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are you even questioning it? Take the job you want and screw the rest of them. As I think Chris, said, MTAS was not exactly fair to us so to hell with them!

Just do what docs have been doing for decades....accepting everything you are offered and dump the less favouable ones as new offers come along.

Its not like you'll be leaving them high and dry...there will be someone somewhere thanking his/her lucky stars if you drop the GA post!

The GMC guidelines say that as long as you give a months notice, they should accept it.

In all this confusion, do you think a deanery will take the time to give you hassle over it-NO! They just want their posts filled .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
the way I understand the current system , you're stuck with the first offer as once you accept an offer you are not allowed to accept another as long as it's an St post rather than FTTA.

my advice is to try to talk to the deaneries today to check if they allow you to decline the first offer you got, go there by person as I don't think that you'll achieve any thing by calling the london deanery as they hardly respond according to other posting.

good luck

The current system?

Which system?

Rules have changed a few hundred times whilst game was on. PsycX is in a very solid position by doing whatever he likes... so, enjoy, mate 8-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am still trying to sort out the business - i am getting an impression that i may be able to decline the post i've already taken - i've mailed the h/o recruitment to confirm the same, but when i spoke to E0E, they were blunt to the point of not being polite, and said that if u've been accepted a post, we will NOT offer you a job ... no discussion about what if i can turn down that post without ne hard feelings from London deanery . BMA is still sitting on it. I don't want to come to a situation where i turn down one post, and am not offered the second one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

psychoanalytix

at least you have the reaction EOE...

what are you going to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to pray a bit .

I've been in touch with both deaneries, jdc and bma, and my previous c & A consultant and my current boss. lots of advice and encouragement from people who are trying to help, including in the recruitment teams. it's difficult to say, but london deanery at least is working over the weekend [bless them] and i am hoping something will turn up ... i know i'll be a bag of nerves for the next few days...lets hope for the best n see what happens

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Luck !!

If that helps, your nerves will be in good company.... something like 60% of the medical population in the UK will get simultaeoulsy drunk over the weekend

::) 8-) :-*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PA- take what you want and RUN......

For God's sake, there's enough people being made miserably unhappy by this business- if you can, get what you want. EoE obviously did not know you had an offer already or they would not have offered you theirs....Let's face it, no one on the end of the deanery phone gives a flying F**k about individuals and their quality of life....You'd be mad not to take care of your own interests- nobody else is going to, and you're the one who will spend the next 3 years in the wrong place, qualifying finally in the wrong specialty for you.

If you turn down London, all they have to do is look at the list in front of them and make another human very happy.... :) :) :) Think of yourself as a benefactor!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0