Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
janani

what have I learnt?

22 posts in this topic

I have got a training job but I understand this is a hollo victory. Though I am in a better position than many, parting from my family is making my heart bleed. that is life.

So let us look into what we learned.

this is life. God knows how many times we will go through similar situations in our life time. Only thing we can do is learn from such situations.

I learned to collect evidence after cheering up my patients, taking bloods, wishing good luck to my colleague, etc. :)

I learned that my masters are grossly incompetent!!

Janani

I agree. I have also got st, but at the expense of leaving my wife/family/city of birth.

Can't complain at all looking at so many of my friends' predicaments, but still, we should ALL be angry at the awful way we were treated.

This is all a big money saving exercise, drs are the most expensive staff in a heavily overspent NHS, and by cutting training posts, they have helped their financial position, only temporarily until the next governmental/managerial screw up.

All I have learnt is that the medical profession has been sold out, the public have been uninformed and have fallen for govt spin as usual, and the terrible consequences on so many doctors who have given so much to the public, will be a final nail in the coffin for any doctors' rights under this leadership.

I learned that my masters are grossly incompetent!!

Anon I agree with you. It feels funny that this bunch will continue to supervise me. I have to rescue my career somehow!

The problem with doctors is that whilst they have a lot of talent and ability, they have absolutely no courage.  Just leave medicine behind and plow your own furrow.  No boss, no red-tape, no pointless team meetings or appraisals, and much much more satisfaction/freedom/money.

Show them what you can do without them!

The problem with doctors is that whilst they have a lot of talent and ability, they have absolutely no courage. Just leave medicine behind and plow your own furrow. [highlight]No boss, no red-tape, no pointless team meetings or appraisals, [/highlight]and much much more satisfaction/freedom/money.

Show them what you can do without them!

Where is this heaven? ;)

I have learnt i chose the wrong career uears ago by going 2 med school. My kids wont make d same mistake....at least not in this country.

my daughter has also learnt it. she wants to become a paleontologist ( is the spelling correct). she doesn't want to go through this.

I learnt that there is something to be learnt from everything...even from the fiasco that is MTAS....I had three interviews, and I had thought, yes this is almost home...but when I wasnt offered evn one job, I thought why? then i get a call asking me if i wanted a job that wasnt my first choice...but THAT WAS MY FIRST CHOICE...their explanation, oh well, we have this as ur first choice, but anyways, do you want it??.....DUH! so yes, i did get a job, but after endless heartbreaks and soul searching...why did i have to suffer, why do some people still have to suffer..people who were happily training in rotations, rudely interrupted by this monster...i know there are many reasons, financial, nhs, so that local grads are assured places(atleast most of them-sorry, from here it does figure as a plausible reason)....but then it struck me.............I was very late for work one day, and as i was hurrying through the hospital car park, i noticed a nurse park her car and leave in a hurry. i guess she hadnt engaged the park brake so the car began to roll towards another car. I happened to be close by, and stopped the car from rolling and called the nurse back.....i am not claiming to be stronger than a moving car;-) (hehe) but i couldnt help thinking that there was no right reason for my being late, till this incident took place

so i thought, if i havent got what i wanted, maybe someone else did who needed it perhaps more than me, or i didnt get something that was probably harmful to me in the long run.

and yea, i too learnt that i need to get a form signed each time a patient says thank you!!

Both me and my husband got st3 job but in different places. He can see our daughter only in weekends. Which is unexpalinably hard. I realise jobwise we are in a better position but certainly not happy ( in the same boat as many other). I am angry that no one has the right to separate families and let the kids long to see thier dads. But then mind-rx you are right things happen for some reason. May be its time for my husband to move on to a different trust for further experience and more money. lets see I hope all the kids who had to separate from their parents get used to it.

Sorry, things don't 'happen for a reason'.  This defence mechanism is called 'rationalisation'. In the long run, the truth is easier to bear.

Both me and my husband got st3 job but in different places. He can see our daughter only in weekends. Which is unexpalinably hard. I realise jobwise we are in a better position but certainly not happy ( in the same boat as many other). I am angry that no one has the right to separate families and let the kids long to see thier dads. But then mind-rx you are right things happen for some reason. May be its time for my husband to move on to a different trust for further experience and more money. [highlight]lets see I hope all the kids who had to separate from their parents get used to it. [/highlight]

The saddest part of this fiasco, I think. Impact on doctors families. :'(

yes, u r right, the truth maybe easier to bear for some, but not for all...sometimes, one has to take an empowering stance and therefore take a different view of the truth...there are potentially infinite reasons for things to happen. i prefer the positive and inspiring ones. 'rationalisation' may help u explain my 'defense mechanism', but its still just one explanation. if i can have closure with my predicament i dont care what explains it. maybe some may call that denial.

dear janani, im sorry about ur situation, and i would not come close to realising how it may feel for those kids who maybe separated from either or in some cases both their parents. i feel everyones given up something or the other for what they wanted, some more than others, some more than they bargained for without realising it. when i get bogged down by what appears to be 'pressure' from unavoidable circumstances, i learnt that there is still room for exercising choice...this may not be a real choice, but to be concious of whats happened and what i 'want to'(not need to) do and take responsibility, for me is more empowering. but thats just me...i guess it may not work for some/many. i pray everyone find their peace. happiness has never been having what u want, its always been in wanting what u already have. all the best.

They all promise that the land beyond the hills will be the promise lands - pass your part II and the land of milk and honey is for you SpRville. Until they decided that Sprville has been downgraded to the same horseshit plethra of first on call and being the general dogsbody, catering for minging consultants. The trauma of the the shortlisting process, recurrent computer mishaps, spastic government, interview fiasco....dare I go on.

We all lack Honos(wrong spelling - spanish for bollocks)

what I learned from all this chaos is that we do not take our jobs, titles or degrees with us after we die. It doesn't matter whether someone got an ST or FTSTA or Staff grade or didn't get anything. There is more to life than just having a training job or a degree. many of those who passed their exams or had ST jobs or whatever achievement are still unhappy and dissatisfied. THis is life. there is more into it. I certainly feel empathic for partners who have to separate after each one get a job in a different deanary. I also feel empathic for those who might not see their children as regularly because of what happened.

Regards

i feel sorry for people who are still unhappy despite having a job.

just stop for a moment to think how ur mental state was like when u were waiting for shortlistings/ interviews outcomes. i know its human nature not to b satisfied with wat u got bt still compare urself to those who r in the danger of having to go back to their shithole countries. many of us didnt come here for career , it was just for survival and better quality of life n to b deprived of it once u r used to it is a big blow to anyone. there is nothing positive to take from this experience for those who r still no where. there is only one reality that they are in deep deep shit.

Think u have just hit the nail on the head, bedazzled, although i'm not sure many people will acknowledge it.

I definitely agree with u although human nature makes u think otherwise.

I am sure as previously metioned there are lot of defence mechanisms playing in us. but if it was not for the defence mechanisms by now there would have been countless suicides during this whole process. so lets not take our defence mechanisms for granted. they help us keep our hopes. we are doctors and this world needs us as much as we need anyone else.

Not everyone is an IMG, but everyone seems to be equally pissed off...