Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramneesh_puri

ARE SWAPS ALLOWED/ POSSIBLE??

15 posts in this topic

i have been reading with interest some posts regarding swaps... just wondering if its actually possible to swap run though training posts... can someone post any useful likns to any info that may clarify this...

It is in Scotland: see the MMC Scotland pages. Theoretically there should be a good arguement for it in the rest of the UK, because they are just appointing people who score highly enough for a job. Once you have an ST number then it shouldn't matter where you work. Whether the deaneries will see it like this, I'm not sure...

we were told by our progr director that the mmc havent figured out how to go about it at the moment. I personally strongly feel it should be allowed ie should be a procedure in place for it, specially since people are being forced to make decisions , without being allowed to wait for their 1st choice.

Perhaps e-mailing the mmc may help, any ideas??

To be a devil's advocate, technically, no one should have applied to a place where they never intended to work. I thot that was strongly spelt out by MTAS during the application. However strongly the chances of getting a job in London sounded, i didnt apply there cos i knew i would not be happy working there.

But i do know there will be exceptions to the above.

Dear Kreely,

Reason for Swap is not because one does not want to work somewhere. Like in my case when me and my wife applied we applied for same four deaneries. But she got in London and I have got in Scotland.  :-? One of us would try to swap otherwise for next 5 years we would have to lead separate lives.  :'(

I believe numerous other people will be in similar situation as me.

i tottaly agree with u as i got job in london and my husband got in coventry and because of family reasons we should be allowed the swaps

I think the concept of swap is a complex one. In Scotland it is pretty starightforward- as it was a single interview and they identified their best candidates, as per the interview and now they r allowed to swap between their sectors- which is fair enough.

In England however it is not the same. Different deaneries conducted different interviews. For argument sake let us imagine a person who has got a job in Eastern, but didn't get in North West, but wants to work in North West, tries for a swap with somebody who was selected at NW, but wants to work in Eastern. Technically this person was rejected by NW, and was not their best candidate. If he is the 10th person on waiting list at NW, by swapping deaneries he will be bypassing that waiting list. And the 1st person on the waiting list will stand to lose out- which is not fair on him. And the same applies at the other endd- ie Eastern. If England had conducted one single interview- fair enough swaps r possible- but not when they have been selected in different interviews.

agree raja raja,

hence first accept the job. then see what happens. Interdeanery transfer is allowed as in GPVTS. First need to do few months in the job. So no need to worry. Let everyone get their act in place, settle down, start the job and then try.

Dear Kreely,

Reason for Swap is not because one does not want to work somewhere. Like in my case when me and my wife applied we applied for same four deaneries. But she got in London and I have got in Scotland. :-? One of us would try to swap otherwise for next 5 years we would have to lead separate lives. :'(

I believe numerous other people will be in similar situation as me.

Yes i see ur point, guess different pple have different reasons for wanting swaps. I hope they see sense in it cos thats why they thot of linking applications in the 1st place. People with family and partners shd have a choice of swapping.

mats was supposed to be linking our aplications..............but with tht underwater now........v ve ended up with chaos and mess............i really hope that they would consider swaps

mats was supposed to be linking our aplications..............but with tht underwater now........v ve ended up with chaos and mess............i really hope that they would consider swaps

Since the govt admitted that there was never any computer program to sort the 1-4 ranking nationwide, I also doubt the system for matching was ever in place either.

I completely agree with fiddlerontheroof. Swaps or transfers should be allowed, there are over 200 people who have posted requests for ST swaps in doctors.net, that says something!

It does not help, if a couple have to live at opposite ends of the country for 5 years!

Nice to see a bit of common sense from the DOH/MMC at last :P

Have you ever worked in London? You might apply to london deanery but there is a world of difference in travel times between various jobs that the deanery covers.

Speaking of which. I was offered an ST4 Old Age in NELMHT and at the last minute (less than two weeks to go) they have told me it's not NELMHT at all but Edgware General.

Does anyone want to swap with an east london equivalent? The prospect of travelling to Edgware and back every day is making me sick to the stomach tonight.

Having spoken to various medical staffing people it's enlightening to know that

1) The MMC disaster continues, and trusts are having an awful time with unfilled posts and unallocated doctors, at the last minute.

2) There are loads of run through training posts with nobody allocated, that were not included in the first round and have had to have locums employed for 3 months because of general MMC disorganisation. (Nowhere near the 96% that the deanery is making out)

I feel sorry for the medical staffing departments right now, and for the doctors that have no training job when there are many jobs without doctors.