Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ianb78

Envious of ST1s

12 posts in this topic

I can't help but feel envious of the new ST1s where I work. I have been given FTSTA3 and have been working in the same trust for a considerable length of time. It's heart breaking seeing trainees at ST1 level with no experience (some that struggled to get onto training in the old system) being given a 6 year ticket to consultancy when more experienced people have been sidelined.

What makes things worse is that I am continually advising them on clinical matters etc. Maybe I should refuse to do this!!

Anyone else feel this way or is it just me being silly?!

No anon.. you're absoulutely correct and not being silly. Like me, i'm sure there are several others who share your sentiments. In fact, its not just at ST1, but also at ST2 and 3 as well that there are some people who have been given the 'ticket to consultancy' (as you have put it).

Makes me feel low in self confidence and self esteem that the reason i'm not in a run through scheme was because I wasn't good enough but to be honest that's a load of b******ks. I am sure anon that we are just as good (if not better) than some of the chaps who entered run through training between ST1 -3 levels..

Comments anybody??

Feeling exactly as you feel and also got FTSTA ST3. However, dont think you should have any problems helping them out......its their luck, which i guess revolves. Guess we've also been lucky at one time or the other with pple envious of us. I even have a ST1 without GMC registration (just applying) and only done clinical attachment in medicine 2yrs ago.

same here in our trust. people have got ST1 without any UK experience and not even GMC registration. they alll struggled to get any job with old system.

I'm glad it's not just me!

What are people's views on the future in terms of getting into the run through system? Anyone care to guess what our chances are?

Really, they should have given everyone a ticket to ST6.

or

Made a break at ST3 for everone to reapply to ST4.

I was part of the team providing induction to the new trainees, imagine my feelings when I did that. Nobody compelled me, but I volunteered in my new position as a Locum Staff Grade in the same trust.

At the end of the day I was having mixed feelings for the good job which was appreciated but at the same time feeling betrayed being thrown out from a rotation along with other colleagues who succumbed to MMC.

Thats how the world is. ;)

I'm glad it's not just me!

What are people's views on the future in terms of getting into the run through system? Anyone care to guess what our chances are?

I doubt if anyone knows the answer to this question. I was informed that in Medicine, getting an ST2 post does not guarantee you an automatic ST3 spot. You need to apply for the subspecialty and compete with every other candidtates (including FTSTA 2 candidtates). The same may apply to Psych.

Totally agree with ur feelings anon. And I was at the induction as well- doing some of the teaching to ST1's about taking a psychiatric history. And I seemed like a fool, teaching these future consultants, while I will be struck at this grade for ever! Of course I can put in my CV that I have taught ST 1's , but how does it matter anymore? :'(

Is it just me or where exactly is psychiatry heading? Clearly there are not enough outstanding candidates to fill ST1 posts but a plethora of people being pushed out of training inadvertently with the old system.

Is it just me or where exactly is psychiatry heading? Clearly there are not enough outstanding candidates to fill ST1 posts but a plethora of people being pushed out of training inadvertently with the old system.

The things would be different in coming years. When people have to decide whether to accept a ST1 post in psychiatry or to go for a career grade post in a more popular speciality, they will eventually choose psychiatry. At least that's the expectation.

I can't help but feel envious of the new ST1s where I work. I have been given FTSTA3 and have been working in the same trust for a considerable length of time. It's heart breaking seeing trainees at ST1 level with no experience (some that struggled to get onto training in the old system) being given a 6 year ticket to consultancy when more experienced people have been sidelined.

What makes things worse is that I am continually advising them on clinical matters etc. Maybe I should refuse to do this!!

Annon, how you are feeling is completely understandable. But we need to understand that there are some ST1's (just after foundation year or only one year training in psych) who are good doctors although not experienced in psychiatry. They would not have got in to the runthrough if they had to fight with more experienced trainees. And that would have been really unfair for them.

But at the same time I agree with you on the fact that some people got in to ST1 , or in that matter to ST 2 or 3 simply because of the fact that they failed their exams or were stagnating in trust or staff grade posts for ages.

It's not the trainees who should be blamed (although some clearly abused the system), but this crap system and the people who designed one of the worst recruitment systems in the history of UK medical training.

agree with you on that one present..

Its not the fault of those who got into run thorugh training but that of this whole crappy system!!