Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vipulrastogi

maudsley 9th edition

13 posts in this topic

hi all, can anybody advise me, if there is much difference between Maudsley's prescribing guidelines- 8th and 9th edition.

I have 8th edition - dont know whether to buy the 9th edition or not. I am taking the part 2 exam and dont know if buying the new edition would be useful.

There's new info, in the same way that there is new info in each edition of the BNF. I don't think it's significantly different though. Try and get it free from a drug rep!

Yeah Abilify guys are going around taking ur addresses and then posting it to you... Got mine last week ... so did almost every trainee in our rotation....

worth finding out who ur local abilify reop is! ;)

does anyone know who the abilify rep for the durham darlington region is ?

i dont think they are allowed to give maudsley's out anymore. They were only allowed till the 31st of august by their regulator.

I'm not in that region but got one off wyeth rep, so they're out there....

hi all, can anybody advise me, if there is much difference between Maudsley's prescribing guidelines- 8th and 9th edition.

I have 8th edition - dont know whether to buy the 9th edition or not. I am taking the part 2 exam and dont know if buying the new edition would be useful.

it may or may not be useful for exams. if you give maudsley guidelines as a reason for what you say it may count against you - lots of people have a thing about maudsley guidelines being used as a reason for decisions.

j,

do you mean to say that examiners would get irritated if one were to quote from the maudsley guidance? then why do we call that as the 'institute'? arent we suppose to take guidance from a pioneering institute?

how do other people see it?

Is maudsley Guidance not based on NICE?

maudsley guidelines are prescribing guidelines for that trust. they are evidence based and personally i don't have any real problems with them. however, i have heard lots of people (including some examiners) get very cross when people quote them as a reason for doing anything. the fact is that they are one trusts prescribing guidelines which are published and are given out by reps whose drugs come off well in the guidelines. other trusts have guidelines which are different sometimes very different. for exam purposes NICE, the college and BNF are probably safer to quote when relevant.

Ofcourse, one has to learn to phrase your answers in the clinical examination. you don't say its given in the maudsley guidelines. You say...' to the best of my knowledge the current evidence points to blah blah blah'

I know of candidates who have said it says so in the Maudsley guidelines and examiners have accepted it. Its a case of individual examiners.

As such it has sold loads of copies here in the UK & has been translated atleast a couple of European languages. so there you go.........