Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
faisal

accepting CT then accepting elsewhere?

9 posts in this topic

Last year there was a big chaos and candidates accepted jobs in one deanery and then in the other deanery and declined the job in first one. How are things this year? Has anyone acceepted a CT post and then attended other interviews? How seriously do you think will deaneries react this year?

IMHO the deanery cannot force you to take up a job. That would constitute some form of slavery. You are free to resign from any job that you no longer wish to do for whatever reason. If you have already taken up the post then you will be bound by your contract to work the minimun notice period (3 months in the case of ST jobs). If you have not yet taken up the post and have not received any contract of emplyoment with the trust, then as long as you give reasonable time for them to recruit a replacement for you and patient care is not compromised then there is little they can do. I am not sure what is practically happening with this, or whether anyone has challenged trainees who change their minds. I also am not clear where you stand if you accept a job, signing a form that says the job offer is conditional upon you not attending any more interviews. Again I would feel that that is not really a very legal thing to do, but I am not sure.

Best advice would be from an independant employment lawyer (which is often covered in your home insurance policy and so free) or through the BMA and Remedy for members.

Thank you for your recent contact in relation to accepting posts.

In response a verbal agreement is binding and on agreement to take up a post you would be bound to the terms and conditions of that post and therefore it is possible that the deanery inform other deanery's of your acceptance to prevent the chance of accepting two posts and being subject to the notice period of the one that was turned down or possibly being reported to the GMC for breach of contract.

I hope this e-mail fully addresses your enquiry. If you remain at all unclear, or have any outstanding issues, please contact me on the number below to discuss further.

Gordon Tonner

Employment Adviser

askBMA

Yeah. That's from an askBMA person. They are well known to be shit. Ask a proper local rep, or (even better) speak to an independent legal advisor.

Hi

I did speak to Amanda HR west midlands, according to her ,once you have accepted you are legally bound to contract. i think nothing wrong in attending interview ,but when it comes to accepting it all depends how you put it acrooss the previous trust.Hope this helps ?

but u have not signed with a trust , one wudnt even know the trsut at this time ...

i guess many people wud do this and make way for a second round....

About 2 weeks ago in the BMA news there was an article about GMC not being very happy to be used to 'bully' candidates to accept a post. According to the article, it is absolutely ok to accept a post and then decline, as long as you give sufficient notice. 3-4 months (until August) are more than enough notice, therefore it would not make sense to report people to GMC should they do that!!!.

However, when I attended the London interview, I was asked if I have accepted any opther offers and was made to sign a declaration saying that I have not accepted any. And this was before the interview!!!

I think there are grounds to fight against this rule, if a certain deanery creates problems. This unreasonable rule only creates additional burden and problems to candidates and employers, and stands as an obstacle to our training and professional development.