Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bobod

SECTION

8 posts in this topic

MY PATIENT IS TO BE ASSESED UNDER THE MHA 1983, MY CONSULTANT IS NOT AROUND, AND IM NOT SECTION 12 APPROVED, THE ASW WANTS ME TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ASSESMENT SINCE I KNOW THE PATIENT.

QUESTION IS , IM A LEGALLY OBLIGED TO DO THIS, AND CAN I EXPECT TO BE PAID FOR IT IF I GET MYSELF INVOLVED IN THE ASSESMENT.

PLS I NEED SOME ADVICE. tHE WHOLE SECTION THING IS CONFUSING ME RIGHT NOW!

you can participate in the assessment by providing  the necessary minimum information...

but you cant give a recommendation...

i dont think you will be paid for that...

unless you decide to mug the social worker and rob him/her... :)

but your situation is a bit wierd... because it is usually the medical member who would give the reco first... and only then the ASW comes in... or it may happen as a joined assessment...

MY PATIENT IS TO BE ASSESED UNDER THE MHA 1983, MY CONSULTANT IS NOT AROUND, AND IM NOT SECTION 12 APPROVED, THE ASW WANTS ME TO PARTICIPATE IN THE ASSESMENT SINCE I KNOW THE PATIENT.

QUESTION IS , IM A LEGALLY OBLIGED TO DO THIS, AND CAN I EXPECT TO BE PAID FOR IT IF I GET MYSELF INVOLVED IN THE ASSESMENT.

PLS  I NEED SOME ADVICE. tHE WHOLE SECTION THING IS CONFUSING ME RIGHT NOW!

Since you previously have known the patient you can actually fill out a medical recommendation.

Yes, section 2 or 3 requires 2 medical recommendations- one of whom is section 12 approved. so technically if u know the patient u can, though I was never asked to do this as an SHO. Normally one doesn't claim money if it is their own patient

You would be doing the bit the GP is normally asked to do, as someone who knows the patient. Don't have to be sec 12 approved for that. If the patient has a GP that would be a better option. Problem comes as they should have to find someone who wasn't working with you, or preferably connected to your trust to do the other medical recommendation, as they are supposed to be independent opinions....

thank mates , ive accepted to do it as a matter of experience formyself and the sake of getting the poor patient the assesment and treatment that she obviously needs.

NB she has not seen a GP in about 25 years

Oh hell I never thot of this guys...

Sorry about that bobod... for the inaccurate info...

So...

I can give a reco... but the Sec 12 person shudnt be from my work place...

Yeah... that makes me feel all powerful...

as said above if you have prior acquaintance with the patient then you can provide one of the medical recs.

the two recs can technically come from two docs working in the same trust, but shouldn't usually be provided by two docs with the same hospital address or by one doc with a direct supervisory role over the other (i can't remember the exact terms used in the act) - different trusts have different policies, but it is possible legally in certain cirumstances.