Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teecee

STOP MTAS RECRUITMENT

30 posts in this topic

Dear All,

To tell a bit about my self, I have successfully completed my SHO training. I have passed my MRCPsych. I have done audits and done a bit of research as well, which includes two poster presentations. I also have Diploma in Psychiatry. Unfortunately I have not been short listed in any units for ST4.

I know that people who have been short listed are deserving candidates. I feel that I also deserve the same if not more to be short listed. I am actually disappointed and disheartened by the whole MTAS recruitment.

It looks like the whole short listing is based on the questions and hypothetical answers. Does the skill in answering these questions make one a better psychiatrist? If that is what it matters become a better psychiatrist. Why did we have to train doing long shifts in A and E, admitting patients in the ward, doing domiciliary visits, psychotherapy, passing exam etc

I feel the whole process of MTAS recruitment is flawed and offering training posts to doctor over others based on those stupid questions in unfair. I have read in these forums that some people actually knew the short listing scores, and took help form their seniors and some even paid money to get their applications done!

Does any body think we can stop this whole process before many lives are ruined??

XXXXXX

I agree completely. The problem is everyone would think it as attribution error; because we are failures, so we are blaming the system. But thats not true, this system of assessing a psychiatrist on the basis if 150 words answers, marked by...who knows...Those who are shortlisted, please tell failrly, Was this the right way of assessment?

I know people applying after a break of 12 years,no fresh knowledge, but shortlisted; why not, her answers were written by a Consultant shortlister.

But ARE WE REALLY GOING TO DO ANYTHING IN PRACTICAL TERMS?I am going to write in papers, please we have to stop these people ruining our future and futures of our families, and that too, on the basis of a flawed system.

the more silently u accept what is meted out to u, the more powerful and easier it gets for them to carry on wrong doings. stand up and create a ripple.

strike....strike...strike.... :-/

Here here!

The whole process is flawed and unfair.

Threatening to strike is the only thing they'll listen to.

I think as no authorative/government power is stepping in to help us junior doctors or listening to our voice, perhaps we should approach the Princes Trust who are ever willing to help people.

Maybe if we have one of the Royals on our side, somebody is bound to listen!!!!

Their freephone number is 0800-842-842

I thing the only solution is strike

I think as no authorative/government power is stepping in to help us junior doctors or listening to our voice, perhaps we should approach the Princes Trust who are ever willing to help people.

Maybe if we have one of the Royals on our side, somebody is bound to listen!!!!

Their freephone number is 0800-842-842

agreed

strike....strike...strike.... :-/

Here here!

The whole process is flawed and unfair.

Threatening to strike is the only thing they'll listen to.[/quo

righty then, poeple should be voting for it & bringin up suggestions..

Wouldn't striking be counter-productive in this situation? Industrial action pertaining to employment conditions can usually be backed by unions and have some legal standpoint, but the MTAS is essentially a training issue - this may seem like a small difference but can have huge impact on the legal aftermath should something go wrong.

ok this is someone with experience form doctor's net forum, check it out:

RE: Why Not Strike? ( maureenmull) 27/02/2007, 19:46

It was done in the Seventies when not being paid overtime while working 1 in 2 rotas were the issues. With the support of Seniors we withdrew from everything except emergencies. Remarkably short and effective...well, 14p an hour, but it was a beginning.

It can be done.

It is legal.

Plus whenever doctors strike in this country, it spells the end to a government.

I agree that strike is the only thing they'll listen. In fact I wrote to the Chairperson of the BMA JDC several months ago asking for a strike ... and got no response.

u got ne response!!! other collegues on the doctors net got an unfavourable one.. well need to think of an organization that ll support us..i know my collegues are having a local meeting- it s a start!!!

We need public and media support in order to sucessfully win a strike

Look what happened to the fireman and everyone loves them

No-one care about us and It is far too late to strike so forget it

you need a co-ordinated flexible union which the BMA is not

it is spineless and powerless

my advice, leave if you can as this government has forsaken us

I have seen a good response to this post. Thank you.

Does any one know of any country which has a similar selection procedure like MTAS?

I know in USA, USMLE scores play a major role in getting selected to residencies.

In India interviews to training schemes depend on how well you score in Entrance Exams usually Multiple Choice Questions.

If this system of selecting trainees based on stupid application procedure in not there in other countries then we might have a point t to get this whole process scraped!

Does any one feel, we can get a stay order for this whole stupid process based on the fact that the selection procedure in flawed?

finally, a few doctors seem to be thinking on the same lines as me, please lets strike, nothing else will stop this and the oncoming, unseen disasters, as with a flwed system, more and more such disasters are ought to happen.

STRIKE !!!!!!!! If you must.....

I know people on this form must be questioning my interests????

It's true, I am an SpR but also close and related to some well deserving candidates who didn't get shortlisted. Those who are shortlisted- Congratulations and i am sure you desrved it but the system seems unfair judging people on a mere application form which many people got filled by seniors. It truly does not reflect how good a Psychiatrist/Doctor you are.

However before you go on strike beware of the fact that not many (Infact most) of the shortlisted candidates will not support 'you' (i.e. those who didn't get shorlisted). ' They ' will when they do not get the Job as not everone who is shortlited will get the job.

Stopping the MTAS process by Lobbying Consultants is probably not going to work .Too much political pressure on them.

Also agreed that it's been left too late but better late than never.

I am with you on this one.

I got shortlisted but i think it is a crap system and the interview process WILL be even worse!! Strike 1

As mentioned elsewhere in the forum there is an opinion that even if you get selected you might not be employed as an IMG

Strike 2

Strike 3....? We wait and see....

More than 60% feel that MTAS Selection criteria are Unfair!

The BMA have apparently found many flaws in the short-listing process. Apparently consultants were not able to view the applications on line and applications had to printed out and given to them. In this process many applications were lost. So among the candidates not short listed many of their applications might have been lost. I think the whole MTAS is in shambles, but they are trying to cover up.

More than 60% feel that MTAS Selection criteria are Unfair!

The BMA have apparently found many flaws in the short-listing process. Apparently consultants were not able to view the applications on line and applications had to printed out and given to them. In this process many applications were lost. So among the candidates not :lol:short listed many of their applications might have been lost. I think the whole MTAS is in shambles, but they are trying to cover up.

Come on mate make it 100%. This government is more than happy to work with a 40%. Tell me where the poll is and I will make it at least 90% by multiple voting :lol:

Do you people think petitioning the PM will be of any use?