Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest masteryoda

West midlands betrayed

15 posts in this topic

In the west midlands very few of us have actually been short listed in the west midlands

most of these are local graduates as well

our mess president has not been shortlisted in any job for gods sake!?!?!

have others found this to be the case?

i feel betrayed, even though I know that is was a blind process

I cannot believe that peoples family and lives are going to be split to appease the folly of a bankrupt government

Same in our trust in london. At least 40-50 SHOs have not received any shortlistings from their own deanery as well from others.

Apparently this has happened all over London/KSS (not shortlisting their own)

It's funny, I thought part of the point of this was that people felt that previously locals always got jobs through the old boys network. Now apparently people are pissed that there is no old boys network.

The situation in the past was not so different, deserving people missed out and rubbish doctors got in due to knowing the right people or ability to work the system. The only difference is that the system has changed and thats what we don't like, change.

Change is good, but change for the better, not change for changes sake. Somehow it is hardwired into our brains that change means evolving and consequently for the better. hence every two years some bright spark in Whitehall comes up with CHANGE. O'levels to GCSE's to Course based to exam based......the public thinks wow we are changing.... evolving.

Applications and going to an interview has been changed by the bright sparks to a horrendous exercise, filling out stupid online forms, e-mailing MTAS who never respond, gathering bits of paper for the PORTFOLIO.

The SpR interview did not involve carrying huge folders, competency forms, evidence of audits. We have regressed to being treated like 2 year olds.

But I think that something did need to change. In an increasingly more open society we as a profession need to be transparent and accountable to the public. Portfolios etc are a pain in the ass and I don't like it but revalidation and proving your skills are important. I know an SpR in a different specialty who was renowned as being truly dreadful. It took until year 5 of their training for a sufficiently bad incident to occur that something was done. It was pretty bloody obvious from all of their work that they were dreadful and dangerous but the old systems weren't robust enough to pick it up.

I agree that the new system ain't the best but it certainly did need to be changed

The new system DOES NOT weed out idiots and dangerous people. NO system can. You cannot and will not guarantee that no tragedies will occur. That is the fundamental paradigm of life.

Like many, you appear to be under the delusion, that since change has occured it must be good. How does attending conferences and having a certificate of attendance and doing audits and carrying a portfolio guarantee that you are not going to be rubbish doctor.

It doesn't but increasing workplace based assesment and a change in the culture from 'must pass exams' to 'must do job properly' should, notice I said should not will. I am certainly not deluded about the new system.

Oh Lord!!

March forth fair warrior - 'Fixus Adverso Sperno'

no local grad. should worry....despite shortlisting, STs wont be given to IMGs who dont have visa covers the period of training.......this has been the case at least in Newcastle especially after many locals have not got any short listing.

The new system DOES NOT weed out idiots and dangerous people. NO system can. You cannot

Agree with you. Some of the crap SpR's we have are the best living examples :lol:

I just wondered if you thought ID cards are a good idea?

But I think that something did need to change. In an increasingly more open society we as a profession need to be transparent and accountable to the public. Portfolios etc are a pain in the ass and I don't like it but revalidation and proving your skills are important. I know an SpR in a different specialty who was renowned as being truly dreadful. It took until year 5 of their training for a sufficiently bad incident to occur that something was done. It was pretty bloody obvious from all of their work that they were dreadful and dangerous but the old systems weren't robust enough to pick it up.

I agree that the new system ain't the best but it certainly did need to be changed

Same in our trust in london. At least 40-50 SHOs have not received any shortlistings from their own deanery as well from others.

we are being told over 75% of SHOs on our rotation have not been short listed at-all: Can we name our rotations to see if there is more to be learnt. I mean there are a large number of IMGs in the UCL rotation and I know there are very few IMGs in Royal Free Rotation...what's the sitiation there?

The only difference is that the system has changed and thats what we don't like, change.

Change is good but ONLY when it has been well thought through and aims to improve things. 0 out of 2 for MTAS/MMC as far as i can see.