Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anandde

EMERGENCY INTERIM INJUNCTION ORDER- do donate now

29 posts in this topic

EMERGENCY INTERIM INJUNCTION ORDER from THE HIGH COURT OF JUSTICE  

“Until the matter can be heard inter partes on the morning of Thursday 8 March 2007 before a judge of the Administrative Court

(1) Those who have leave to enter/remain in the UK under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme are to be considered for appointment and interviewed under Round 1 of the current recruitment process administered by the Medical Training Application Service in the same way as any applicants from the UK and the EEA and accordingly the following guidance from the Department of Health be deemed not to apply to those who have leave to enter/remain under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme

“Doctors with limited leave to enter/remain in the UK in immigration categories that allow them to work will be considered for short-listing in Round 1 if their leave is current at 1 August”

(2) No appointments under Round 1 should be made until 2 pm on Thursday 8 March 2007 and after the matter has been heard inter partes

(3) Judicial review proceedings are to be served on the proposed Defendant forthwith after issue.

(4) This order and supporting documentation to be served on proposed Defendant forthwith.

(5) Costs reserved.

(6) The proposed Defendant have liberty to apply to set aside this order on 24 hours notice in writing to the proposed Claimants’ solicitors.”

While the Department of Health has promised to keep its guidance on HSMP doctors in abeyance for the round 1 of MMC recruitment it has also applied a new condition that is causing a great deal of worry and anxiety amongst our members. On midnight a week ago the Department published on the MTAS website that only those doctors who have a visa to work beyond 1 August 2007 will be considered for recruitment in MMC.

Our lawyers asked the Department to remove this requirement. We first wrote to Department’s solicitors on Monday 26 February seeking urgent action. This was followed up with several faxes and telephone calls. Unfortunately there was no satisfactory reply. In the meantime the results of the short listing were published and we were relieved to learn from even our members whose visa is due for renewal before 1 August were short listed. But this relief was short-lived and it became apparent on Thursday that doctors who do not have visa extending beyond 1 August may be turned away from the interview.

On Friday 2 March our lawyers again pressed the Department for a reply to our request of 26 February. We got an email from Department’s lawyers promising that we would have a reply before the end of the day; unfortunately that promise was not kept.

Given that the rule will be implemented for the current interview process we have asked our lawyers to go to court today, Sunday 4 March 2007, and seek an emergency injunction against the Department of Health. We are asking for an order from the court that those whose visa falls for renewal before 1 August 2007 should not be excluded from interview and appointment process.

There are risks involved with this course of action. But given that our members will begin to suffer harm from being excluded from the interviews and the Department is so far unprepared to enter in to any dialogue, we find ourselves left with no choice in the matter.

Friends, so far we have stood up against unfairness and injustice and we have no plans to back down at this stage. Once we get the injunction we will have to proceed with another Judicial Review on this particular issue. To continue our fight we need muscle. The flow of funds is drying up and we are sure your enthusiasm will be rekindled.

Ramesh Mehta, Satheesh Mathew, Raman Lakshman, Sajayan, Satwinder Basra and Buddhdev Pandya.

Legal Action Team

www.bapioaction.moonfruit.com

As a white british male that qualified from a UK university (a rare species in psychiatry!!) I am annoyed by the numbers of groups being formed standing up for the interests of exclusive sections of trainees.

Can you imagine the uproar if I formed a white doctors society solely to protect our own interests?!?!!?

I am sorry you feel this way.

Did you as a white male (predominant group at the DoH) stand up for the rights of these 'exclusive group of trainees' at any stage in the past year?

My guess is no.

So dont blame them if they try to stand for their rights.

Posted on: Today at 21:39

As a white british male that qualified from a UK university (a rare species in psychiatry!!) I am annoyed by the numbers of groups being formed standing up for the interests of exclusive sections of trainees.

Can you imagine the uproar if I formed a white doctors society solely to protect our own interests?!?!!?  

I'm also a white British male and I have to say I couldn't give a toss what people post in this forum, people should feel free to post what they want and accept the consequences.

In fact when I read the statement I have to say I felt proud that there are still organisations out there who stand up for their members. So well done to the BAPIO, the school bully tried to beat you and you stood up for yourself. Alright in the end you might still get a thrashing but at least you've shown the DOH that you are not going to lie down and die. Not like the BMA they have already pissed their pants, handed over their lunch money and gone home crying to Mummy. :lol:

I'm also a white British male and I have to say I couldn't give a toss what people post in this forum, people should feel free to post what they want and accept the consequences.

In fact when I read the statement I have to say I felt proud that there are still organisations out there who stand up for their members. So well done to the BAPIO, the school bully tried to beat you and you stood up for yourself. Alright in the end you might still get a thrashing but at least you've shown the DOH that you are not going to lie down and die. Not like the BMA they have already pissed their pants, handed over their lunch money and gone home crying to Mummy. :lol:

true cmo,just too true

the BMA can't even fight it's way out of a soggy paper bag let alone stand up for anybody

very well said cmo

Well done BAPIO

Such a shame that the IMGs were needed here only for 3-4 yrs till the cohort of increased no. of local graduates would have come out. The politicians show the same level of oppurtunism universally. Just wanted to make the British public happy that they have brought in loads of doctors as Tony Blair keeps saying 'so many thousand doctors'. Nobody knew of this game plan.

Now the DOH is hell bent upon to exclude as many IMGs as possible in one way or the other.

It is time for IMGs to keep the fight on.

If the BMA had done their job we wouldnt be here today. And this applies to the situation of both local and foreign doctors.

We must stand shoulder to shoulder rather than divided

Together we stand, divided we fall

[highlight]As a white british male that qualified from a UK university (a rare species in psychiatry!!) [/highlight]I am annoyed by the numbers of groups being formed standing up for the interests of exclusive sections of trainees.

Why a rare species?Why are the local graduates not interested in psychiatry?Is it because we deal with the most underprivileged and disenfranchised sections of the society?

Most guys who come from Indian subcontinent take up Psychiatry as an oppurtunistic and easygoing specialty.  They come here with the idea of pursuing medicine or surgery and after arriving in UK suddently choose psychiatry as an option and those guys have now learnt a lesson by not being committed to the specialty.

Sandoc,  What proportion of guys from your medical school back home has choosen psychiatry.  You very well know the answer.  Why are you investigating the same cause in UK.  You should do it first in you own home country!!!

the BMA has left the medical profession in tears and anger...

SHAME ON ITS MEMBERS WHO CONTRIBUTE

In fact when I read the statement I have to say I felt proud that there are still organisations out there who stand up for their members. So well done to the BAPIO, the school bully tried to beat you and you stood up for yourself. Alright in the end you might still get a thrashing but at least you've shown the DOH that you are not going to lie down and die. Not like the BMA they have already pissed their pants, handed over their lunch money and gone home crying to Mummy.  :lol:

CMO U have demonstrated highest level of Kohlberg's moral reasoning....... good on u

Most guys who come from Indian subcontinent take up Psychiatry as an oppurtunistic and easygoing specialty.  They come here with the idea of pursuing medicine or surgery and after arriving in UK suddently choose psychiatry as an option and those guys have now learnt a lesson by not being committed to the specialty.

Sandoc,  What proportion of guys from your medical school back home has choosen psychiatry.  You very well know the answer.  Why are you investigating the same cause in UK.  You should do it first in you own home country!!!

your point is quite valid... just to add that psychiatry becomes attractive and fascinating once u have worked in it for 12-18 months and gained good understanding of the subject

[highlight]Sandoc,  What proportion of guys from your medical school back home has chosen psychiatry.  You very well know the answer.  Why are you investigating the same cause in UK.  You should do it first in you own home country!!!

[/highlight]

Thanks Humble for the suggestions you gave me :) I am going home this weekend. I will do a mini survey on what proportion of my class mates have taken up psychiatry.

And stop being judgemental.

Why did you choose psychiatry?

Sandoc,

Cool down. You do not need to do a survey this weekend. Keep it for sometime later in August 07.

I was not judgemental but I was trying to provide you some answers to your concerns regarding why people in UK not prefer psychiatry as a career choice.

I have chosen psychiatry becoz I wanted to become a psychiatrist and this is the reason why I went to medical school.

I think the same reason you gave is applicable to most img who chose psychiatry. We shouldn't assume that most of them took it up just because its easy. I don't dispute the fact that some of them have chosen it because it was easy to get in.Lets not get into an unnecessary argument.

Sandoc,

No uncessary arguments.

Just reiterating some facts.

IMGs thought when they chose psychiatry their lives would be rosy in Britain. Now time is showing something different and they are weeping now.

Hi Humble (a misnomer)

Many IMGs had to choose Psychiatry in the UK as institutional racism disallowed them to take up surgery or medicine.

Many IMGs with even Post-Graduate degrees in surg/med struggle here or end up in staff grade posts. The smiley faced 'sweet' medical staffing have been binning IMG applications without qualms even before the shortlisting consultants get to see them.

Whats wrong with Psychiatry anyway when 'sane and intelligent' people like you do well in it.

UK grads have not been interested in psychiatry as it doesnt pull as many girls in pubs as surg/med. One at least needs to act empathetic with people. That doesnt come easy to UK grads, as is evident from the series of ur posts here.

Most IMGs have CVs stronger than UK grads who dont have to live each day worrying about the next. And most have come to UK with great difficulty and dont want to go back without a Membership of a Royal College.

I hope you see sense.....

As a local grad I find corpus' above post offensive. It displays predudice and generalisation..the same poor treatment IMGs have to indure.Disgraceful and embarassing.

Better not to make it personal.Pl refrain from controversial statements,its only gonna divide us further.

HI HUMBLE,

IT WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED IF YOU COULD KINDLY REFRAIN FROM MAKING SUCH REMARKS ABOUT A PARTICULAR GROUP OF PEOPLE-IT SOMEHOW APPEARS LIKE STEREOTYPING.

THANKS.

the same could be said of corpus

hey..hey.. will you guys just stop pointing your fingers at each other??

this thread is not getting any where..

>:(

WHOEVER IT IS ,PLEASE DON'T MAKE AGGRAVATING REMARKS, DOES'NT HELP ANYONE.

THANKS AGAIN