Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rajeevkrishnadas

Who is Fiona Patterson

8 posts in this topic

I heard that apparently, this whole MTAS recruitment was based on a small study done by a psychologist named Fiona Patterson, who is also one of the major stakeholders in the MTAS... which was given the job by DOH to recruit ST trainees...

Well... only hearsay...

but  sounds fishy....

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7493/711

Well if it's right,  the whole process of what's happening now is not surprising at all...

It's sad that we doctors have no role in decidingwhat's best for us..

It's another classic example how we were being taken for granted..

In the CPA forms,In the trust i worked before 'sleep appetite,libido' were all in mentalstatus examination and therewas not even a  column for premorbid personality..None of us were able to change that including consultants..(those forms been designed by nonmedicalgroup)

i don't think mtas or mmc were due to fiona patterson, but i think she is involved in the group that looked at the person specs and did some work around the selection process (not sure exactly what - to do with the standardisation and selector training and stuff i think). i also think she has been involved more directly with the design of the GP recruitment system which has been generally regarded as a success and the idea has been to make the ST system more like the vts system.

But the VTS has a knowledge based MCQ exam... which i think is fair enough.. so it is not just the writing skills...

why was that taken off the ST applications??? any idea???

Fiona Patterson, professor, Department of Psychology, City University, London EC1V 0HB

Hmm..That explains it..City Uni has to be one of the c***iest Unis in the country,although they claim to be 'No 1 in terms of employment' (ie a record number of its graduates stack shelves in East London)

In the CPA forms,In the trust i worked before 'sleep appetite,libido' were all in mentalstatus examination and therewas not even a column for premorbid personality..None of us were able to change that including consultants..(those forms been designed by nonmedicalgroup)

Our induction was spent drilling in the fact that we needed to use the CPA forms but:

1. They need to be done on computer

2. There are several pages on 'Can you self-toilet?' etc and LITERALLY one paragraph for the psych clerk

All the SHOs just refused to use them.

How on earth can doctors not be major stakeholders in something that affects us? Are we represented at all?

I am SO proud of the surgery consultants of the West Midlands for refusing to honour the cull of medical careers and regret every joke I ever made about surgeons!

Fiona Patterson, professor, Department of Psychology, City University, London EC1V 0HB

Hmm..That explains it..City Uni has to be one of the c***iest Unis in the country,although they claim to be 'No 1 in terms of employment' (ie a record number of its graduates stack shelves in East London)

Did you actually study there? If not, then on what basis or you trashing the place?

The latest Guardian rankings places it 22nd out of 122. Hardly disastrous.