Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Magna

GMC Warnings

9 posts in this topic

Heard on the grape vine that one of my old med student colleagues (now a surgeon) was issued a warning from the GMC. Think it was actually unrelated to his practice and he received a police caution for being drunk- all rumours though!

Interested to know the implications of this since he just got ST1 RT. Shall I take the mick out of him when I see him next or be sympathetic? ;)

There but for the grace of God, Magna...

People in glass houses shouldn't thrown stones

Pot calling the kettle black

-if your frontal lobe is intact, I guess your response will be all down to your alcohol consumption!

I have had close friends involved with GMC (both good doctors) and wouldn't wish it on any one.

Yes it sounds like any contact with the GMC is deeply unpleasant from the FTP cases i've been reading today. Mickey taking would be inappropriate methinks. What happened to the cases you've known?

psychiatric assessment by two independent psychiatrists :-/

One friend was doing VTS- doing neonates- made a decimal point dosing error with morphine for a prem baby on scbu. Baby died (pathologist grudgingly decided due to prematurity, not opiates). She had followed protocol, got calc checked by a nurse etc, but the mistake still happened. She's not stupid, certainly her maths is no worse than anyone else, it was just one of those things. Could have happened to any of us. She ended up in coroners court (who was a real bastard to her), in the press, got hate mail from the general public, and had a GMC enquiry. She was suspended for over a year before it all got sorted out. She didn't get struck off (had to do a maths test!!!!) but has an enquiry on her record now. She said she'd always be looking over her shoulder now, and even with the support of her trainers/ colleagues couldn't face practising in this country. She does horrendous VSO and MSF stuff now- war zones, only doc for miles kind of thing. She must have saved hundreds of kids lives over the last few years. I'd trust her with my kids any day- she's a great doctor. Could have happened to anyone.

Other guy- trained surgeon, converted to GP. End of surgery one day, all staff gone home except him, temp patient came in with back pain. He thought she had bony tenderness, and being a surgeon examined more thoroughly than I would have done- including breast exam. Cos she wasn't a regular patient, he felt he had to do it there and then even though no chaperones about. Afterwards, she went to GMC and accused him of assault. He was suspended for 2 years whilst police and GMC investigations were going on- horrendous. It got to court and he was facing a jail sentence as well as the GMC striking him off, but the judge threw it out- turned out she had a pd, and I think judge thought she was being racist, as well.....He wasn't struck off, but was given a black mark for communication skills, I think. He works still, but it completely shot his confidence for a couple of years.

Thats really awful... All the more, because in our roles, we have no margin for error...or rather we do but the error is usually death.

Not just the death of the patient but also the considerable distress of the lifelong implications of such a mistake.

I do feel that there needs to be a widespread acceptance of this, with ppl realising that human errors can happen. It happens to us all at some point or another... Hopefully, not with the same tragic consequences...

Any thoughts about David Southall and GMC's reaction over this child protection issue?

I heard in Radio 4 today that the panel who sat for GMC comprised of an orthopaedic surgeon and three laymen..

How could such a panel with no experience whatsoever in child protection decide the future of a top guy in child protection?