Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Happydoc

Patients or Clients

51 posts in this topic

Hi Friends,

What do you prefer? Personally I grit my teeth whenever I hear SWs referring to patients as clients. But I suppose medical practice is more & more becoming like any other business. Still I think I will die before I call my patients clients.

Clients is more POLITICALLY CORRECT!!.

I find it annoying the use of these words like clients and service users, not sure when the `doctor` will be replaced with service provider officially

As Doctors we took the hippocratic oath which sets the tone for our future practice. It is patients mentioned in this text and not clients or service users. Anyway clients are what prostitutes have! Other professionals can call our patients what they like.

I do recall a Professor of Psychiatry referrring to psychiatrists as 'emotional prostitutes'..................So I suppose the term client would make sense ;)

Not any more though ......the emphasis is shifting away from the couch to a more medical model....so then maybe patient would be more appropriate......

I do recall a Professor of Psychiatry referrring to psychiatrists as 'emotional prostitutes'..................So I suppose the term client would make sense  ;)

thats interesting...  :lol:

I protest... the term prostitute is politically incorrect.. Commercial Sex Worker... Emotional Commercial sex worker (ECSW) :lol:

I find it surprising that these kind of debates keep happening...

It almost sounds as if calling them clients will cure them of their illness...  :lol:

Rather than saying - a 7 X 3 X 3 feet white box, which is insulated and electrified to keep food items cold so they dont get spoilt - I prefer to just say 'fridge'...

When the basic needs of people are met.... they can keep playing/yapping about anything...

I wonder how many people in the world dying of starvation and severe malnutrition would mind being called a patient or service user...

Just imagine one of them saying... ' If you call me a patient, I wont eat - better call me a service user'  :lol:

Political correctness depends on the needs of the people ( thats my humble opinion)...

When people have no other job, they can carry on debating about changing the names of services...

My first question is... why do they come up with words like geriatric/ mental retardation... when after sometime it is bound to acquires some derogatory meaning...

I am pretty sure, terms like man and woman would become derogatory in time...

My second question.... Why dont the surgeons mull about things like this????

eg: the term appendicectomy is derogatory... lets name it something else???? ... or more appropriately... the term surgeon is derogatory... lets call ourselves 'morons'... which is less derogatory...  :lol:

GOD help psychiatry's identity crisis...

On second thots...

Rather than asking 'whats the patients name?'

We could ask.... Whats the username????

The Hippocratic Oath actually just calls them 'the sick.' Modified versions may have been politically correctified to use the term patients. Magna, did you actually have to swear the Hippocratic Oath itself? Or was it a modernised version? The original oath would be an odd thing to swear in this day and age...

The plaque at the front of my hospital (old asylum bulding) says that it is provided 'for afflicted humanity.'

To me, because I am a doctor practicing a branch of medicine, I have patients. Not clients or service users or any other ridiculous name like that. If we want to stop psychiatry from slipping into the realms of being a pseudomedical specialty then we need to preserve our roles.

To me, because I am a doctor practicing a branch of medicine, I have patients. Not clients or service users or any other ridiculous name like that. If we want to stop psychiatry from slipping into the realms of being a pseudomedical specialty then we need to preserve our roles.

Quite Chris!

Yes the oath that I took would've been modernised because it had 'patients' in it.

Great post Dorian. :lol:

I think the oath I took was loosely based on the Hippocratic one. Although I would secretly have quite liked invoking ' Apollo Physician and Asclepius and Hygeia and Panaceia and all the gods and goddesses!'

What's in a name?

A patient is a patient is a patient.

let's see how the different terminologies differ.

Service user - A carer will be using the services, accompanying the patient to

O.P, listen to what the doctor has to say and hopefully be concurring. ( Making sure

that patient is compliant or reporting increased self harm to professionals).

Service user is strictly not the right word, IMHO.

Client - a person that uses professional advice. How often do our patients use our advice, treatment plan. You are not a client if you dont use your lawyer's/architect/accountant advice. The relationship ends when you decide against using the advice, but not so in a psychiatric service.

Patient - what's wrong with a patient?

There is a pathology, no matter how strong or weak or disabling it is.

If I go to my GP with flu, I will be happy to be referred to as a patient, which indeed I am.

somebody with borderline traits would hate being called a patient and would rather interview doctors by representing the service user panel and talk to junior doctors on the first day of their jobs about how they were wrongly diagnosed and not offered help by any of the mental health professionals.

I was glad to see the poll results- glad to know that I am in good company. I have never called any of my patients as clients or service users- in fact one of my patients recently asked me the meaning of a service user

Can we have another option for ' Not bothered'? I'll call them whatever they want to be called in the interests of the therapeutic relationship! I tend to default to 'patient', usually. But clients when I was doing psychotherapy, and service users (or just users!) in my current job- substance misuse...

As a carer, though, I have a child who I am happy (? :-/ :'( ::)) to have labelled as having a learning disability or difficulty, but I can't bear the ICD-10 thing of 'mental retardation'. Weirdly, mental handicap, a term from my youth, seems less derogatory....

Thnx everybody,

I agree with Chris I think I am quite old fashioned with regard to my profession so I will keep on calling a patient 'patient'. Also if I am on the other side of the table & needing a doctor I would prefer to be called a patient. What is wrong with it after all? Yes what Dorian says may happen yet!!!

The very fact that other terms are politically correct is enought to put me off!!!!

Quite an interesting discussion.

Parson's 'sick role' concept says that the person with an illness

is obliged to seek help in order to overcome that.

If patients have reservations about being called as a patient, then it

would mean that they are in denial. That would have negative implications

on getting better ( compliance ).

How on earth would they get better?

Well, the trust in which I am working called the patients as patients, then moved on to calling them as clients, then service users and now believe it or now considering to call them as 'customers'

Well, the trust in which I am working called the patients as patients, then moved on to calling them as clients, then service users and now believe it or now considering to call them as 'customers'

CUSTOMERS? Thats a new one. I thought that term refers to possible buyers of products.

Actually, they may be buying health service thru their tax. Interesting ;)

I think the debate is missing a key issue here. 'STIGMA'. None of the surgical or cardiology patients want to be called as SERVICE USERS. Imagine creating a forum in the name 'Mentally Ill patients forum' or 'Psychiatric patients forum' - How many do you think will join? The name 'Service User Forum' sounds attractive and will encourage participation. Suppose any of us suffer from depression and take treatment for it would we like to be referred as mentally ill patient for the rest of our lives?

Regarding the issue of patients getting involved in interviews and lecturing in the induction I dont have any problem with that as long as it helps to boost their self confidence and esteem. At the end of the day none of the panels are going to select/discard a candidate based on their view alone!

Finally I do agree that 'Patient' is the right terminology. However If we want to reduce stigma and encourage involvement and participation I think we must be open to changes.

I absolutely despise the term 'client' ... it makes us doctors sound as buisnessmen or lawyers rather than health care proffessionals.

Service user i can understand.. but i would prefer to use the term patient especially while communicating between different professionals.

I think the debate is missing a key issue here.  'STIGMA'. None of the surgical or cardiology patients want to be called as SERVICE USERS. Imagine  creating a forum in the name 'Mentally Ill patients forum' or 'Psychiatric patients forum' - How many do you think will join? The name 'Service User Forum' sounds attractive and will encourage participation. Suppose any of us suffer from depression and take treatment for it would we like to be referred as mentally ill patient for the rest of our lives?

[highlight]Regarding the issue of patients getting involved in interviews and lecturing in the induction I dont have any problem with that as long as it helps to boost their self confidence and esteem. At the end of the day none of the panels are going to select/discard a candidate based on their view alone![/highlight]

Finally I do agree  that 'Patient' is the right terminology. However If we want to reduce stigma and encourage involvement and participation I  think we must be open to changes.

Thanks for bringing up STIGMA. We dont stop prescribing because there is a stigma attached with taking antipsychotics. But do we want to collude with them by being politically correct? - Using Service users instead of patients.  

We are not endorsing the term mentally ill patient for life, are we? The debate is more about 'patient' than a 'mentally ill patient'. How often do we refer to mentally ill patient rather than just patient? Again if i were depressed at a particular point of time, I was a patient at that point of time. Certainly i wouldn't want to be labelled for the rest of my life, but wouldnt have reservations about being called a patient at a particular period.

[highlight] Regarding the issue of patients getting involved in interviews and lecturing in the induction I dont have any problem with that as long as it helps to boost their self confidence and esteem. At the end of the day none of the panels are going to select/discard a candidate based on their view alone!  [/highlight]

Dont we have better ways to boost their self confidence and esteem. If their views are not going to be heard, whats the point in making them sit there? PC again.

I dont have a problem with a person with psychosis/Mood disorder sharing their experiences, but cant accept the fact that somebody with Panic/Anxiety (read - PD)coming and lecturing about how unhelpful the system was - doctors, nurses & social workers. Moreoften these people choose to do this rather than people who have both good and bad things to share.  

PC just for the sake of PC is not the answer

Preganant woman is a patient, though they are undergoing a physiological process. They are not offended. It is not an offensive term at all.

Nothing wrong with the term ' patient '. I have always used that term, and will continue to do so!

CUSTOMERS? Thats a new one. I thought that term refers to possible buyers of products.

Actually, they may be buying health service thru their tax. Interesting ;)

And 'the customer is always right', so beware!