Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JazP

Consultant appraisal anyone?

11 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I thought I'd seek everyones opinion re: consultant appraisal via nursing/MDT staff.

I had a rather interesting debate with one consultant recently about this.

I suggested that consultants should have appraisals, where specific complaints/issues could be discussed (if neccessary), as happens now, with a senior consultant / clinical director.

MDT involvement is clearly important, but should the consultant be actively seeking feedback from his/her team? Will this not create a very odd team dynamic?

Also that nursing colleagues have their own methods of appraisal that we do not specifically contribute to, therefore why should we expect appraisal from them?

I also mentioned that there is a huge selection bias in any of these rather pointless 360 appraisals anyway!

Maybe Im a bit too old school, but I do feel that consultants should be appraised by senior clinicians.

I suppose the issues of feedback form filling and direct appraisal are two seperate issues but all leading inexorably to the same path ie. more MDT involvement in consultant appraisal.

Could this be such a bad thing??

Are you really not aware of consultant appraisals?

They have similar ones to us.

Not sure of the 360 degrees.

My consultant showed me his aprraisal folder it was exemplary

Consultants do get appraised by senior colleagues, usually on a yearly basis.

Consultant appraisals are usually conducted by Medical Directors or other senior clinicians and mostly on a yearly basis.

I suggested that consultants should have appraisals, where specific complaints/issues could be discussed (if neccessary), as happens now, with a senior consultant / clinical director.

...Yep am aware of what happens at present. I am just really thinking about the future...

I think that already happens as well. All complaints made against consultants usually gets passed to the Medical Director, whose responsibility is to raise it with the particular consultant.

I appraised my consultant as part of his 360.......... 8-)

Oh, i never new trainees get to appraise their consultants ........but is this confidential? as no one will dare give a poor feedback at the risk of receiving an equal poor reference.

Oh, i never new trainees get to appraise their consultants ........but is this confidential? as no one will dare give a poor feedback at the risk of receiving an equal poor reference.

Exactly.Isnt it a rather pointless exercise anyway? Why waste time and money and energy instead of getting on with the job?

Its confidential. He only gets the average score from all the people who filled it in. I think it's a good idea. I was ruthlessly truthful, but he was a good boss...

consultant appraisal has sections on relationships with colleagues and with patients. evidence is required. it also includes a section on complaints and incidents, as well as activity levels, objectives, cpd, and other areas.

the college runs a scheme (ACP 360) which is one way of providing the evidence of relationships with colleagues/team members and patients.

why do you think that seeking feedback from colleagues would produce a very odd team dynamic?