Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RosyWood

What\'s happening to higher psychotherapy training?

7 posts in this topic

Anyone here have any idea? I've just had a letter from SYSH saying that because there are so many higher trainees than there used to be, they are being more prescriptive about who does what, and we will all be applying to do a three year rotation at ST4- some of which will lead to endorsements in eg liason, substance misuse or old age, others of which will just be general training. No mention whatever of psychotherapy as an option, however.

What is happening in other places? Anyone have a clue?

in places that previously offered higher training in psychotherapy that should still be available. sysh has one psychotherapy number (as previously). i'm not entirely sure when that number is next due to come up, as because of a lack of psychotherapy trainers in this area the person that has the number has taken it away with them. i do know that this is an issue that people are trying to address and for the last year there have been attempts to develop a psychotherapy training stream, although as i said, the relative lack of trainers is the problem.

oh, and more on sysh streams. there are streams that will lead to C&A, OA and GA ccts. forensic and psychotherapy are being worked on. some of the GA streams will have endorsement specialties (liaison, rehab, substance misuse).

So basically, I shouldn't have gone for ST3 last year- I should have gone for ST1 and made sure it was all sorted out by the time I got to higher training! ::)

hi Ros

we were asked in Nort-West to give three preferences about higher training including FTST3-s;the lady frim deanery said they are looking at what people working in the area are interested in doing and how it matches with opportunities for training;

psychotherapy was on the list

Was that as a one year post as part of a general adult CCT, therapy, or was that 3 years of psychotherapy at st4-6? Do you know? :-?

Lord, these santas are making the forum look busy......

So basically, I shouldn't have gone for ST3 last year- I should have gone for ST1 and made sure it was all sorted out by the time I got to higher training! ::)

ah! but then you wouldn't have been shortlisted and would have had no chance.

anyway, this is something that is still being discussed. locally psychotherapy training is hard to get because there are not enough trainers (and historically there was only one number). however, there has been talk of a system of allocating st4 posts accross a wider area, so if that works out and you are willing to travel and/or move it may be possible for you.