Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Elvis

Learning Disability Question

6 posts in this topic

Anyone who is doing/has done LD who has got ideas of activities to do with patients to help build up rapport? I cant play badminton and boules for another 6 months...

Much appreciated.

Elvis :lol:

i think initially u just have to b with them.after some time ,when they do know that u exist--maybe go on short trips with clients and other staff[by van].thats what i did initially.then maybe go out with the key worker to the day services and find out what they like to do and then try to join in!!by the time ,u really get to know them --its time to say goodbye[6 months already]

good luck elvis

Sorry that question was a year old. Had a really good placement and probably am an LD convert now! Thanks for the belated advice anyway - its always nice to know people care. What a lovely bunch we are.

Elvis :-*

Even if a year old, the question is still relevant today.

In developing a rapport with people with learning disabilities, it is very important not to enforce what you think is the logical sequence or what you think is right....let the person with LD lead you...find out what their favorite hobby is, where they like to go, what they like to do...you will be surprised at the wealth of info this can provide!

Yes we do still care. ;)