Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shabaz

Question on near misses/Clinical mistakes

7 posts in this topic

Can anyone kindly give insight on how to answer this one

If the mistake was very grave dont you stand the risk of GMC referal.

Im sure someone down the line has attended a course or read something which would have a generic way such a thing is handled.

Im not asking for a scenario but the buzz works which are to be used reflective practice blah blah ect... >:(

I think the best way to approach this is to dig deep into your memory banks for a clinical scenarion you were directly involved in. Get a blank bit of paper and write it down as you can remember it. Then break the situation sown (some have used STAR: S = situation T = task A = Action R = result.)

When you have done this you will be able to write your answer and use buzz words if you wish (but used alone they will sound hollow)

Good luck

I tackled this during my SpR interview prep. Highlight a difficult case in terms of something like misdiagnosis, delayed admission, poor response to medication, development of physical complications, violence on the ward, etc; then go to the intervention and the happy ending (which it did end in, hopefully). It does fit in with the 'STAR' format Da5id mentioned above.

The aim of this question should not be to highlight your shortcomings but to illustrate how you deal with clinical challenges. Be honest, but it's but advisable to use an example where you appear to have performed poorly.    

Justme

i think this is worth a discussion; they have given an opportunity to select either your mistake or of another colleague.  

do we actually need to come up some blunder that we did so early in the selection procedure.  they say they are looking for the best candidates for the run through programme.  would not that be a dangerous step :-?

I am sorry for my ignorance but How exactly is the question framed? Can one of you type it verbatim please?

Question: Mistakes can and do happen in medical practice. Describe a specific example where the outcome of action you took in response to a clinical mistake/error (made by you or someone else) caused you to reassess how you subsequently dealt with similar situations. What action did you take at the time and how has your practice now changed?

There's hardly space to answer fully if it's been one of your own mistakes and still make yourself look good - so it would be mistake to own up here.

I thought of a situation while on call when it was necessary to apologise on behalf of the hospital which showed crisis management skills. Describing a corporate mistake also takes the heat off you being someone who blames a colleague. That's my approach.

As i understand from this question, the word 'Mistake' is not necessarily pointing at mistake from a medical doctor, it could be a

mistake by your secretary who messed up with appointments,

mistake in communication, could be typographical error, delayed communication etc

Mistake by Nurse, not administering medication or giving extra dose or different medication

Carers not happy with the nursing care

You forgetting an appointment or turning up late for it

Your patient on the ward being abused by another patient etc etc

Now you being the team leader (next to the consultant ofcourse) act as a responsible person and will try to persuade the angry carers and defuse the situation and make sure it doesnt happen again.

I am sure you can think of one such situation in your personal experience.

Other suggestions are welcome, this is just my opinion.