Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
qudrat

cofusion prefer academic?

15 posts in this topic

if I want to apply for st clinical run through which box i should click.

If you tick the 'prefer academic' box an academic supplement is added on to the Psychiatry questions portion (after the Probity section).

I'm assuming this is for people who want to be Academic fellows.

For ST and FTSTA I assume we need only tick the 'prepared to accept rejection er.... FTSTA' boxes as MTAS will figure out we're applying for an ST job by the UOA itself.

Any ideas if this is right?

As the applications are for the Run thru, i dont think there is a sseperate section to tick for ST...

If you untick the academic, you will still be considered for ST... but not the academic...

If you apply for the academic, the interview may be slightly different... Moreover, the application does ask you if you have details of what ou may be interested in.... and what we expect the deanery to do...

if we have funding for our research, or we have a protocol which has been approved by any of the university for an MD or PhD...

[highlight]so I think unless you are dead serious about the academic post, we may make a fool of ourselves at the interview [/highlight]

are we guessing this? or it is clearly stated anywhere about the academic and st posts---which box to tick?

nowhere the mmc morons have given a job description of what an academic post is and how it differs from a clinical post. anybody any idea, please detail. :-*luv, jade goody

Thats a very good name Jade Goody.

That was a really good laugh.

I won't surprised to see a Shilpa Shetty here too.

We really have people with good sense of humor here.

Something to chill our brains in the midst of the agony created by MMC.

LOL

Jade Goody! I am not sure why u feel it necessary to mock someone with a real name. This does not strike me as fair.

Jade Goody! I am not sure why u feel it necessary to mock someone with a real name. This does not strike me as fair.

hi folder, how r you, doing fine? cheer up man, i think the mmc people have tensed up quite a few. luv, jade goody :-*

Actually Jade my love, I think that was an attempt at humour from Folder, at least i hope! Please tell me i'm right folder.

The Jade Goody name is definately fair game!

Academic SpR posts used to be advertised periodically. Click on the link for a recent one.

http://www.bmjcareers.com/tpl/adverts.php?useArchive=1&webId=964c8e3078a1c53430abd83960cd1777

On the bmjcareers.com web site you had to click on Medical Jobs Current down the left then click on General Medical Jobs rather than Hospital Jobs.

I think academic posts do 6 academic sessions and 4 clinical sessions a week. Something like that.

My understanding is If you ticked on prefer academic it means you have a chance for both academic and clinical posts.. am i right? I prefer clinical but I am afraid I wont have a chance in clinical so I keep academic as an alternative. Do you think it's a correct idea? I am not sure because I don't want to waste my efforts in trying to answer extra 5 long questions

Yep, it is. it's a very competitive position and you will have questions about it at your interview, so unless you know exactly what you are applying for, I wouldn't tick that box.

You'd need some relevant research experience at SHO/PhD/MD level, at least a pubblication in a peer reviewed journal and have a clear research ambition/project in mind that you can argue and debate at interview to have some hope to succeed. Otherwise you might just spend valuable time discussing this and trash your chances to get a clinical job as well.

Hope this helps.

interesting....

where did you get this info from?

I hope you are not trying to put people off?

Just kidding!

;)

HOnestly, do you know anything more than that?

Ha Ha no I don't fear competitition 8-)

I digged infos out of personal interest and my supervisor warned me as above.

Also check their website www.nccrcd.nhs.uk