Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sona

evidence for proficiency in english?

16 posts in this topic

can some one guide regarding evidence of proficiency in English----

I passed my IELTS in 2003 and am working in this country since 2004, do I still need that certificate that I did my degree in English// or Do I need to appear in IELTS again?

It depends on whether you are applying for initial HSMP or extension. if this is your initial application then you may have to get the certificate from your university stating that you did your degree in english or resit IELTS.If it is for extending HSMP then IELTS test certificates which are more than 2 years old will be accepted(REF:FLR(HSMP) guidance notes)

hope this helps

I know atleast 3 friends who are applying for IELTS on thier first application.The home office have a database of universities which are '.IELTS Rcognised'.Even if your university is recognised by WHO for PLAB ect,it should be present in the IELTS database they have.If not i am afraid they dont consider letters from university.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply & sorry for confusion.The question was regarding application for ST 2 . Would I require to provide any evidence regarding English as it is one of the criterias in application form

Thanking in anticipation

Person specification states they need IELTS BAND 7 overall,but does not mention any duration like the HSMP.Hence my understanding is that you can use your IELTS certificate issued in 2003,as it does not come with a expiry date!I am thinking of using my IELTS certifcate issued in November 2002 both for ST interviews and for my HSMP extension.If my thinking is wrong please correct me.

for the application process I would use the IELTS cert whenever it was awarded. At the end of the day it demonstrates proficiency at the point of attainment. I guess the assumption is that as long as you have been in employment since (not necessarily continuous), your English must only have improved.

I think it may be a covert way of discriminating against say some of our european counterparts who may not be able to utter more than a few words. A disadvantage to their patients to say the least!

I think this might prove a very interesting point....

Europeans do not have to have any qualification in English and are not required to sit any exams to prove their (in)ability to use the language....so I am sure it is going provide interesting stories in the days to come.

The latest info from MMC website notes :

IELTS or evidence of proficiency in english such as

'you have worked in UK' -'this evidence must be in writing verified by the employer / supervisior'

I used to wonder why applicants are asked 'proficiency in English language' because IMG's wont be registered with the GMC without this proof. GMC registration implies a pass in IELTS for FMG's.

Now i think, as usual, a smart move by the UK govt., they have introduced this criteria to keep a check on the influx of doctors from EU.

Just a thought. comments invited.

exactly my point above DKS! ;)

Woww I love the way the whole mmc team is working!It reminds me of our college feasts when as organisers we would run around till the last moment and in the end mess up the inaguration , we screwed up the audio system and imagine the situation where you have 1000 people and nobody hears you or the speakers give out a screeching noise!

I emailed MTAS in this regard.

'My other query is about IELTS. Applicant guide states that IELTS (for IMGs) should be valid as on 4th of February 2007. I passed PLAB 3 years back and IELTS was an essential requirement for the exam and valid at that time. Now I have been working as SHO in UK for 2 years and have full registration. IELTS validity is generally considered to be limited to 2 years only. Where do I stand in this scenerio? '

Reply from MTAS

'The application form asks if you have the required English language skills and then asks what evidence you have to support this if you reply ‘yes’. If you have been working in the UK for 2 years, then it would seem likely that you would use this as evidence of your English language skills provided you can provide supply documentary evidence.'

Hope it helps.

So what should be the documentary evidence they require.

Filling in this form itself is a proof.

I think just your previous job contracts confirming that you have done educationally approved posts in UK should be sufficient. Some people would have language of instruction indicated on their degrees or they can get a certificate from their university that their MBBS was in English. What I am going to do is that I will print off 300 pages document from WHO website which has list of all the recognised medical schools in the world including the language of instruction and take it with me to prove that I have studied in English as I dont have any letter from University.

In person specification it is clearly written that one of the following criteria

a) that applicants have undertaken undergraduate medical training in English; or

B) have the following scores in the academic lnternational English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Overall 7, Speaking 7, Listening 6, Reading 6, Writing

If somebody undertaken undergraduate in english Is it not acceptable? Do we need to fill IELTS section in the form.

aany idea

Great idea

I think just your previous job contracts confirming that you have done educationally approved posts in UK should be sufficient. Some people would have language of instruction indicated on their degrees or they can get a certificate from their university that their MBBS was in English. What I am going to do is that I will print off 300 pages document from WHO website which has list of all the recognised medical schools in the world including the language of instruction and take it with me to prove that I have studied in English as I dont have any letter from University.

Great ide4a