Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paoktzis

Courses/Qualifications/Presentations

5 posts in this topic

Where would I put the Basic Life Support Course and the Breakaway Courses that I attended? Is it in the Qualifications section? Or are they not worth even mentioning?

Also, in the Presentations Section can we include case presentations that we have done during the weekly meeting at the Postgraduate Centre or we can only put any presentations that we have done in National or International Conferences( I don't have any of those)?

I have sadly left those non-starred sections in 'B' blank. Feel a bit weak doing so but haven't got anything worth mentioning. Breakaway etc are compulsory for insurance reasons in most trusts I suspect, so have left out all that.

Interested to hear the consensus though.

I left them out too for the same reasons as Magna.

As for the presentations I chose to be selective in my interpretation. I read it as presentations or posters at conferences not presentations and posters at conferences. So I have added case presentations to this section to bulk it out. I really don't think they would have expected that most trainees have given presentations at conferences.

Thanks!

Another question that is a bit vague is B1b( evidence of clinical skills and expertise in relation to this specialty). Do we have to state the obvious ie that we can take a psychiatric history, do a mental state examination, do a physical examination,do a risk assessment, administer ECT etc?

Or they are looking for something else?

Depends on level you are applying for. I would have thought at ST2/3 it would be especially important to mention these as you are still in core training and these are central to the job. If you are looking for ideas look at the skills in the specification for your level and try to mention/cover them. For ST4 you would need to make much more of a specialty specifc case, court reports/risk assessment for forensic e.t.c