Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jjroche

ST3: 24-48 months experience (at SHO level)

8 posts in this topic

Would locum staff grade work count towards this total? I'm assuming locum SHO work does.

If so I might be in danger of breaking the 48 month limit, unless of course I leave my next SHO post early and get a job in tescos for a few months.

Do you mean that locum staff grade work is at SHO level, or that the 24-48 month period exclusively refers to work under the title of SHO?

Or put more simply, will my application to ST3 be ok?

I just read this on the applicants guide:

Career progression – all previous experience in the particular specialty must be

declared. This includes experience outside the UK. However, where your

experience has not resulted in gaining specialty-specific competences, you may wish

to explain this in your application to support why you are applying at a particular

level.

Where the person specifications refer to experience in a specialty at SHO level, you

should interpret this to mean SHO or equivalent, or indeed higher than SHO level.

So to date I have 30 months experience in approved SHO posts, 6 months in locum SHO posts and 8 months in locum staff grade posts = 44 months psychiatry experience.

So should I indicate that my next SHO post will run for only 4 months from 02/2007 to 05/2007 and simply plan to hand my notice in rather than complete the full 6 months?? It seems a ludicrous solution but I don't want my application being thrown into the (recycle) bin by some computer program before a human has looked at it.

Help!

The advice from the royal college prior to the opening of applications was that too much experience would not prevent anyone from applying at a certain level. They would however have to explain to the panel why they were applying at that level. I think it would be easier to explain two months extra experience compared to trying to explain resigning from a job two months early and leaving your trust short. Leaving your current team in the sh.t is a good way to make the interviewers dislike you. Apply to the level you want and don't worry about the extra time.

if you got more than 48 months SHO experience, are you still allowed to tick the box saying have you met the essential criteria in the submit page

>:(:(

I would, it was the college who came up with the essential criteria and it was the college who then said that experience level was no longer essential. I don't see how they could reasonably penalise you on the basis that you have followed their advice.

Cheers for replies..

I got this from MMC today:

Thank you for your enquiry.

If you consider that your locum staff grade experience was not at the SHO level, you could tick “yes” and explain how you meet the criteria for application for the ST3 level in the free text box.

We hope that this is helpful.

Kind regards,

The MMC Team

So despite it saying in applicants guide that SHO level includes higher levels I'm ticking 'yes' to 24-48 months experience.

Who could have guessed that this new system would be riddled with confusion and contradictions?!?!